News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Dusty Archives

Started by Sibling Lambicus the Toluous, September 22, 2006, 11:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

Below is a small repository of material for/from the Toadfish Archives.

Toadfish Monastery Agreement

Since this is a sanctuary, we'd like to keep things civil. We are here to guide ourselves toward better communication skills using the tools of patience and humbleness. As we are human, we may occasionally slip up and fall on our faces, but this should be met with understanding and guidance on the part of the others and if the perpetrator is contrite and asks forgiveness, it shall be given. If however, problems persist, it is understood that the matter will be taken up privately with perpetrator the complaintant and the admins and a quiet excommunication is possible.

Edit: I have the records of the Hall of Names, but in retrospect, I'd like some guidance before posting this in a public place.

Sibling Chatty

Once Bobby posted the notice, everything posted in the forum legally is his. That was his 'legal' threat to me. As if I could even do a backup...

You'll need to address this with him or his representatives. i'm not sure of the date of that notice. I had a note in my PM storage about it, but I have no access to that, if it even exists.

DD
This sig area under construction.

ivor

We can just rewrite it. 

I wouldn't think he would come after us.  He might say it but I doubt he would do it. 

It's not like we are pedalling our own version of FSM.

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on September 23, 2006, 07:48:07 PM
Once Bobby posted the notice, everything posted in the forum legally is his. That was his 'legal' threat to me. As if I could even do a backup...
Based on my reading of the membership agreement, I do not agree that he owns the content.  He may have the right to retain a copy, but that's not the same thing.

I've started a thread in the Sanctuary where I go into detail on my opinion on this.  I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

ivor

If he copyrights his own religion doesn't that make it not a religion anymore?  Isn't that one of his goals?

MB

NeferKa the Bodhipasta

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on September 23, 2006, 08:06:17 PM

It's nice to know that we're not having the HOT schism of 2006 on our hands at least! It's too bad all of the previous work was lost.

(Sorry for veering off topic:) As I've mentioned before, I am still trying to catch up with all the changes. What exactly is our relationship with FSM and such? I've seen some Siblings say they are done at Vengaza and other say they'll stick it out. I don't want to pick sides, but the split is worth noting. (I know that this sort of discussion was asked to remain in one thread, but I can't find that thread right now!)

Sibling Chatty

I think the division is to be complete.

There's 'baggage' from the FSM site/meme that might be an impediment to an actual interfaith(s) group for tolerance, in that so many Christians could not see past the satire (some pretty mean-spirited satire in the book) to the possibilities of the concept. The concept was fairly easy to adapt to a position of tolerance and rationality, but getting the adaptation across was difficult. (One of the reasons for the 'lack of growth' of the forums is that we tried to keep the content at a level that was acceptable for the very people we were supposedly concerned about, the Middle and High School age students. If we'd had a dime for every gripe or whine about adult content, the Mods and Admins could have held monthly planning meetings in person. ::) )

So, to avoid any hostility from Bobby, and to avoid any possibility of further accusations of intended theft of his pixels or whatever...it'll have to be a complete split, with no affiliation at all. (I did not choose to have to annoy him to get a response, but he was, as I have said even on forum for months, inaccessible. Attempting to discuss any of this with him would quite likely get a similar response. Honestly, his meme isn't as important an the concepts that Toadfish espouse. Yes, hate sells, but so does violence and gratuitous sex, and the combination sells best. But not for the betterment of humankind, or animalkind...or the universe as a whole.)

Anyhooo, that's my understanding. I'm not in charge of anything. (YAY!) I don't wanna be in charge of anything. I'll help where I can, but i'm not strong enough to be doing what i've been doing, and i'm not going to build back up to anything near that level of stress.

Simple answer: Venganza, no. Toadfish's own cosmology, maybe, but simple. Is that about right?
This sig area under construction.

Vita Curator

Quote from: NeferKa the Bodhipasta on September 26, 2006, 04:30:20 AM
Quote from: MentalBlock996 on September 23, 2006, 08:06:17 PM

It's nice to know that we're not having the HOT schism of 2006 on our hands at least! It's too bad all of the previous work was lost.

(Sorry for veering off topic:) As I've mentioned before, I am still trying to catch up with all the changes. What exactly is our relationship with FSM and such? I've seen some Siblings say they are done at Vengaza and other say they'll stick it out. I don't want to pick sides, but the split is worth noting. (I know that this sort of discussion was asked to remain in one thread, but I can't find that thread right now!)

I am also with the camp that believes that this is "The Toadfish Monastery", it is not V or FSM.  People need a week or so to get things out of their system and to clarify things, but after that there should be no further mention of "that other forum".  Onward and most definitely UPWARD!
Unity is Strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything.