News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Monastery Downtime

Started by Griffin NoName, November 03, 2011, 02:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

The last two evenings I've been finding the Monastery has disappeared for about an hour between roughly some time between midnight and 2 a.m. (UK winter time - our clocks have gone back so I suppose it's GMT)

Cloudlfare reports website offline, but for some reason states it doesn't hold cached pages which it normally does to allow for just this problem.

Am wondering why the Monastery is down at this time - maintenance? back up? it'd be nice to have this flagged if it's one of these reasons, it's a bit frustrated just finding it unavailable.

(I know MB is busy, so this is more me speculating allowed than looking for a fix or even an answer)

Has anyone else experienced this? Or is it just me? Assuming anyone else logs on during this period (UK winter time)?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

Sorry, Griffin, I'm never up at that hour.  But I do notice that this site and one other which I visit a lot are now getting 'website offline' errors from Cloudflare at odd, random times of day.  It happens if you just click to change topic, say, or to post a reply.  Normally one more attempt restores normality immediately.
BTW the other forum often suffers from longer delays than we do,

Opsa

I'm guessing that you're right, that you may be running into a daily maintenance time. Maybe they figure it's a low usage time of day.

Usually when I get the cloud flare sign I just go and whinge about it in the Hermitage.

Griffin NoName

I've had the Monastery disabled a couple of times in the last few hours to take backups. I now have a backup of the database. However, I ran into trouble with backing up the software directories. Dreamhost doesn't have a backup option (!!!! I've never come across this before) other than for the whole account and since I don't own the account it won't let me do this. So (techy bit coming up) I tried to use sftp which MB set up for me as a user. BUT.......this is giving a Dreamhost error......... grrrrrrrrrrr......... fiddling around, following Dreamhost instructions on how to cure this error, introduced another error, without curing the first one. I have emailed Dreamhost. I don't think it will affect our continuing to post but if you find you cannot find the Monastery at all, blame me. Or Dreamfarts and go on retreat.

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

...or save the new hermitage address in your bookmarks and go whinge about it there with me! Whinge, whinge!

I so appreciate your efforts to maintain this site, Griffin.  :-*

Griffin NoName

Dreamhost are a pain as usual. They got me into this mess, and now they are not being helpful getting me back to before the stupid changes they suggested.

I have had to email MB to ask him for setting details which have been lost due to Dreamhost stupidity. While I could do the reset, I have the right access, I don't know the settings (I probably should know the settings, except I never thought I'd ever need them, but I don't, so I can't reset them).

Now I have to wait to hear back from MB. And when he has reset, then I still need to sort out why i can't SFTP when I always could before....... which is how this nightmare all came about as Dreamhost advice on that was duddududududududud......
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

FTP clients can be tricky, check if you have a passive/active option and try again (at my website the usual problems are due to this).
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

MB has fixed the hosting back to what it was....... he couldn't remember the settings LOL. Panic over. Except sftp/ftp still no go, fails for him too, thrown it back at Dreamhost. We await enlightenment.
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I believe you must seek enlightenment because it rarely arrives by itself. :P
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

All sorted. Dreamhost had a different password than MB and I.  Scratch heads.
Psychic Hotline Host

Bruder Cuzzen

What should I be reading so i might understand what y'all talking ' bout ?

Griffin NoName

The Arabian Nights? Moby Dick?
Psychic Hotline Host

Opsa

I barely ever know what they are talking about, BC. I just have to trust that they are using their powers for good.

Sibling DavidH

There isn't any meaning in it - just a lot of strange acronyms to make us think they know what they're doing. :mrgreen:

pieces o nine

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on March 30, 2013, 02:24:17 PM
There isn't any meaning in it - just a lot of strange acronyms to make us think they know what they're doing. :mrgreen:
OMG!
The Monastery is a religious cult!!!!!    :o
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677