News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Whaaaa Hoppened?

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, September 08, 2009, 03:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I've been regularly using the unwrapped version of Toadfish for...well years, now.  The wrapped added stuff I never looked at, and squeezed the posts into a tiny box.  The unwrapped was faster, and let the posts spread out to fill my widescreen (this last was only the latest in a long list of reasons to use unwrapped over wrapped).

But, I've come to rely on the link at the top, "view unread posts since your last visit" for keeping up-- But I can't find it on the new unwrapped page anymore.  Halp!

I find I'm helpless to see what's new, who's posted in reply, etc... I literally do not remember how to navigate the forum without it.

*sigh*

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Aggie

I'm still seeing it - browser glitch?

I have gotten in the habit of typing 't' in my address bar on my browser to jump to the most-visited page starting with said letter - which is the Unread Topics results.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I'm using unwrapped with no changes or ill results lately, perhaps cleaning the cache can help, although it is likely that you hit a combination of keys by accident that made the little mess you have now.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

The only thing new is an update to FireFox about a week ago. 

I doubt I hit a key-combination--I use a bookmark, which I click on via mouse...

Hmmm.

I'll try dumping the cache...

Edit:  no joy.

I tried looking at the page unwrapped in Internet Explorer...  I see the *exact* same thing:  the links I refered to above are entirely missing..

In fact?  The entire header part is missing on both browsers.

Okay, this post is from within the dreaded Internet Explorer... I took the time to look up my login/password.

I see the exact same stuff-- the header info, including the links to "last posts since you last visited" are MISSING from IE, too.

So it ain't a browser cache issue, nor is it a combination of keystrokes-- I've *never* logged in under IE before today.

Something is Missing from my Monastory page-- and I find I cannot navigate without it....!

Waaaaaaa....... <eyeroll>

Edit:  Okay, logging out/in did not help.

Going to the dreaded wrapped version did not fix it.

But....the dreaded wrapped version had a bit'o'script in a linky on the space-wasting sidebar..... clicking on that linky revealed magic Script Words that took me to the "recent updated posts" page.

Looking closely at those Magic Words, I was able to create a duplicate link in my browser's bookmarks, modify it with the Magic Words and Viola!  I have re-created the missing linky myself!

Will Wonders Never Cease! 

That's TWO NEW things I learned today...!  I'm onna roll....maybe I ought to contact Steven Hawking.... then again, likely this is It.

;D

FYI?  The Magic Words look like this:

http://toadfishmonastery.com/forum/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=32&action=unread;start=0

This takes you to the unwrapped Monastery, and lists the most recently unread posts.   Looking at them, they are not all that mysterious really.... in fact?  They are pretty logical....hmmm.....that's kina scary.  Logic being used in a programming language .....   :D  ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

If the behavior is the same with two different browsers then the reasons can be more ominous, I frankly don't see why or how your ISP would modify the content of pages you visit and the alternative is that something is fundamentally wrong with your OS (perhaps, load a disk with Ubuntu and check if it looks the same).

Edit: I just thought of something else, perhaps the settings in your account got messed up have you checked those? Or perhaps a css got corrupted somewhere?
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on September 08, 2009, 06:43:50 PM
If the behavior is the same with two different browsers then the reasons can be more ominous, I frankly don't see why or how your ISP would modify the content of pages you visit and the alternative is that something is fundamentally wrong with your OS (perhaps, load a disk with Ubuntu and check if it looks the same).

Edit: I just thought of something else, perhaps the settings in your account got messed up have you checked those? Or perhaps a css got corrupted somewhere?

Okay, that 'fixed' it... I changed the "Current Theme" under Profile -- > Look and Layout Preferences.

I kept going through them [the themes], until I found one that put the "User Info" box back-- that's what was missing-- it's now back at the top.

FYI, I was using SMFone_Blue, which appears to be busted, and I'm now using SMFone_Red which appears to be working...  (the blue one was/is the default setting-- I'd never changed it before)

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on September 08, 2009, 07:19:15 PM
FYI, I was using SMFone_Blue, which appears to be busted,.........

I am using SMFone_Blue (always have) with no problems so it can't be that it is busted. Or at least it doesn't make sense that it is ok for me but not for you.

On the other hand, according to my experience of other software like eg phpBB, themes can be the issue as sometimes necessary mods may not be applied to all themes.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bluenose

I'm using SMFone_Blue (always have) with the latest version of Firefox 3.5.  Go to forum unwrapped.  No problems.  Always see the user info box, always use the "view unread posts since your last visit" link.  Happy customer.

It must be you, Bob.  :P ;)
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

ivor

There's a little icon to the left of the search box.  If you click on it, it toggles the visibility of the User box.  Is that what you're looking for Bob?

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on September 09, 2009, 11:08:00 AM
There's a little icon to the left of the search box.  If you click on it, it toggles the visibility of the User box.  Is that what you're looking for Bob?
Hmmm.....maybe....will experiment and report back.

Hokay, here's the deal:  idiot-icons without any caption/explanation/title are dangerous to old codgers :dontknow: like me...  ::)  :P

(in the voice of Foghorn-Leghorn) "Aaaa hates Icons when words work just as well....what's wrong with words?"  :explode:

*sigh*

Anyone have some mustard?   I have a bit of crow to eat, right after I wipe this egg off....  ::)

Griffin NoName

Oi fink Icons be there for Pirates wot cant reed. ;D
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Quote from: Bluenose on September 09, 2009, 05:31:38 AM
I'm using SMFone_Blue (always have) with the latest version of Firefox 3.5.  Go to forum unwrapped.  No problems.  Always see the user info box, always use the "view unread posts since your last visit" link.  Happy customer.

It must be you, Bob.  :P ;)
^ That, though I have always used unwrapped.  :-*

http://toadfishmonastery.com/forum/index.php?action=unread
^ perhaps it would be prudent to bookmark it?
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

ivor

Sorry Bob.  I should have PM'd you.  That was thoughtless of me. 

Quote from: Scriblerus the Philosophe on September 10, 2009, 02:58:56 AM
http://toadfishmonastery.com/forum/index.php?action=unread
^ perhaps it would be prudent to bookmark it?

I did...only with the function of the mysterious (to old farts like me anyhow) icon, I don't really need it.  ::)

))))))))))))

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on September 10, 2009, 02:37:13 PM
Sorry Bob.  I should have PM'd you.  That was thoughtless of me. 

No, no...this way is better.  It's a learning experience, and someone else may benefit from my little mixup. 

Besides....it was humbling-- thats good, right?

:mrgreen:

ivor

It's not very intuitive for sure....  :D