News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Search Puzzle

Started by Griffin NoName, August 21, 2008, 12:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on August 30, 2008, 08:13:10 PM
Self-replicating machines where somone forgot to put in the task to run when there were enough of us.

Keep on replicating, something might turn up.

::)  what task ?   ::)       <brain boggling>
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

The idea is that if you have a huge task to perform but insufficient resources you design machines that can reproduce copies of themselves AND do the end task.   For a period of time the machines just produce copies of themselves, but when a sufficient number exist they switch to the real task.

Well, there's 6 billion of us now, but we're still pretty clueless as to why. It's almost as if we weren't designed properly. ;)
The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

So you don't actually know what the end task is? 

Oh dear. We were relying on you.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

At a wild guess it might involve putting a Tesco in every galaxy. And a DFS sofa.

pieces o nine

Quote from: beagle on August 31, 2008, 04:22:03 PM
At a wild guess it might involve putting a Walmart with in-store MacDonald's in every galaxy. And a DFS sofa.

Fixed it for you, dear sib...    ;)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Griffin NoName

OM!  They are arguing over the end task. Heaven forfend.
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Chatty

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Not the WalsyMardz wif McBarfles. I can't stand it!!
This sig area under construction.

Griffin NoName

Tiz OK Chatty, just pop over to http://toadfishmonastery.com/forum/index.php?topic=1508.new#new and you will feel better 'cos the end of days seems to be taken care of already. Possibly.
Psychic Hotline Host

beagle

Quote from: Griffin NoName on August 31, 2008, 11:51:28 PM

OM!  They are arguing over the end task. Heaven forfend.

Perhaps fighting and replicating* IS the end task, in which case we're quite good at it.

Quote from: Griffin NoName on August 31, 2008, 11:58:10 PM
Tiz OK Chatty, just pop over to http://toadfishmonastery.com/forum/index.php?topic=1508.new#new and you will feel better 'cos the end of days seems to be taken care of already. Possibly.

I was just idly wondering, is there any year that's not been predicted as the end of the World?   Like charity days there seem to be more causes than available diary slots.

----

Apparently DFS are aware of this possibility. From Wikipedia:

"In 1998 DFS announced its first drop in profits in 28 years to the London Stock Exchange. The company found a third of customers admitted to a leather fetish, and so repitched its advertising from a middle aged couple to lithesome blondes and brunette models draped over sofas, and a billboard of a model covering up her breasts with flowers on a DFS armchair. In 2000 DFS announced a 79 per cent profit increase".

Griffin NoName

Where are the stats on progeny conceived on DFS sofas?

Would this be a positive or negative selling point?
Psychic Hotline Host

beagle

Don't know of any reliable statistics. DFS probably have the edge on Tesco in this area  though.

I have an intuitive feeling that selling sofas via babies may encounter some degree of consumer resistance from about half the target market.

pieces o nine

Quote from: beagle
I have an intuitive feeling that selling sofas via babies may encounter some degree of consumer resistance from about half the target market.
A co-worker back in the 80's announced the purchase of a luxe velvet sofa because the clerk actually told her it was snot-resistant!
(She had toddlers whose noses were corded-edge-height to the sofa cushions at the time of its purchase.) :-X
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Black Bart

Don't talk to me about sofas (or Everest Double Glazing)...our smells of gone off milk at the moment!
She was only the Lighthouse Keeper's daughter, but she never went out at night

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Black Bart on September 02, 2008, 03:28:06 PM
Don't talk to me about sofas (or Everest Double Glazing)...our smells of gone off milk at the moment!

I think Bart's post must have got mislaid from the two word story thread.  ::)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't talk to me about wiring being everlasting.
Psychic Hotline Host

beagle

That's why it's called coaxial; You have to coax it into working.

Now you've got a laptop again you can watch it all on iPlayer anyway...