News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Search Puzzle

Started by Griffin NoName, August 21, 2008, 12:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pieces o nine

Quote from: beagle
Fortunately the only NLP in my business line is this one, but then I am careful to run a mile from companies who believe in psychometric tests, handwriting analysis or fruit-shrinking.
A couple execs I've worked under got DISC-lust, and we were all duly anal-eyesed to reveal our glaring faults and prove why we were undeserving of our existing wages, let alone merit raises. (not the *stated* intent, but really, what kind of people do they think actually pays for that stuff!)

The last time I answered every question as if my boss were asking it in irritation that things were not going according to his (often bizarrre) expectations. My results were ... interesting, to say the least.   ;)  Everyone in the chain of command took our results as gospel, and eagerly began rooting around for things to correct -- ironically, the very things that they had been trying to *instill* up to that point.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

beagle

Quote from: Griffin NoName on August 22, 2008, 10:01:57 PM

Quote from: From Beagle's Link
........ to design and build software that will analyze, understand, and generate languages that humans use naturally, so that eventually you will be able to address your computer as though you were addressing another person.

So if the aim is successful, no one need ever comminicate with a human again !  Is that an ideal word?

You're talking to a computer nerd. Was that a rhetorical question?

The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on August 23, 2008, 11:07:04 PM
Quote from: Griffin NoName on August 22, 2008, 10:01:57 PM

Quote from: From Beagle's Link
........ to design and build software that will analyze, understand, and generate languages that humans use naturally, so that eventually you will be able to address your computer as though you were addressing another person.

So if the aim is successful, no one need ever comminicate with a human again !  Is that an ideal word?

You're talking to a computer nerd. Was that a rhetorical question?

"Is that an ideal world?" might have been. "Is that an ideal word?" is merely a question that doesn't make sense in the context. :mrgreen:

In any case, the software in question would be created by a computer nerd. So perhaps I ought to have written:

So if the aim is successful, everyone may need only ever comminicate with a computer nerd.  Is that an ideal world?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Of course. There'll only be three phrases to understand:

It works for me.
Did you try rebooting?
Buzz off old chap, Dr Who is on.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

Quote from: beagle
Of course. There'll only be three phrases to understand:

It works for me.
Did you try rebooting?
Buzz off old chap, Dr Who is on.

I *think* a proper nerd would choose something along the lines of:

:dalek:   EMERGENCY TEMPORAL SHIFT!  SILENCE!  DR. WHO IS ON!    :dalek:
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"

Black Bart

I've just been to the Dr Who exhibition...photos to follow when I get organised and recover from the Dalek Diorama! :help:
She was only the Lighthouse Keeper's daughter, but she never went out at night

pieces o nine

:dalek:   I AM JEALOUS!   I AM JEALOUS!   I AM JEALOUS!    :dalek:

ivor

Me too! I love the show! I can't believe the show is going on a year hiatus so dork boy can be in Shakespeare. Torchwood too! Argh!!! He's got a time machine can't he come back and do the show later?

Griffin NoName

Which will be remembered in the year 2286?  Dr Who or Shakespeare?
Psychic Hotline Host

beagle

Just pray it's not Big Brother.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on August 29, 2008, 08:30:52 PM
Just pray it's not Big Brother.

I heard Big Brother has already taken over all the mobile phones in the UK. ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

beagle

Makes a nice change to get text messages from anyone but Vodafone. they're deluging me with free text offers at the moment. Either they accidentally put too much spare capacity in the network or they think I'm about to defect...

Griffin NoName

Maybe you have just got onto some auto-text-send loop at Vodafone HQ and the only way off it is to buy the text package ;)

But then, at present, I believe even humans are robots.
Psychic Hotline Host

beagle

Self-replicating machines where somone forgot to put in the task to run when there were enough of us.

Keep on replicating, something might turn up.