News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Search Puzzle

Started by Griffin NoName, August 21, 2008, 12:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Griffin NoName on August 21, 2008, 10:21:29 AM
Neuro-Linguistic Programming, the amazing technique that inculdes shrinking apples unti they do not exist.
Isn't that the ability fundies wish they had to prevent certain apple falling into certain Newton guy some years ago?  ;)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Black Bart

The only Apple Shrinking I can relate to is the Shrinking number of apples on my tree, and indeed the shrinking of the fruit itself due to bleedin Crows and Parakeets.

That's on top of my mouse and squirrel problems.
She was only the Lighthouse Keeper's daughter, but she never went out at night

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Please don't kill the parakeets.

Can you sell them?  ;D

Sibling Chatty

Quote from: Black Bart on August 21, 2008, 03:13:12 PM

That's on top of my mouse and squirrel problems.

Harve ye contaktid Boris an' Natasha?

Oh waite a minit...that wud be MOOSE an sqiurrel.

Nevermind.
This sig area under construction.

Griffin NoName

For Beagle

How It Works : An example

Someone is terrified of their father.

They are asked what fruit he would be if he were a fruit. They say apple.

They are told to hold an (imaginary) apple in their right hand.

They are then told to imagine it shrinking, repeat shrink more, until very small apple. Or no apple. (I can't remember which).

Then they are asked: are you frightened any more?

No, they aren't.

They are told, every time they meet their father, do the apple shrink, and never be frightened of him ever again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Never worked for me. Couldn't get the apple to shrink. Should never have chosen a Granny Smith.

But at least I know why shrinks are called shrinks ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

So how does the shrink pad that out to an hour? Does the imaginary fruit fight back?

How can you tell if an imaginary apple has shrunk or grown? Is that why you need the shrink rather than having a cheaper DIY session? Only they're allowed to measure imaginary apples using the imaginary micrometer?

Isn't the whole thing rather Freudian?  Are these people for real?

So many questions...

The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Not just for real, deadly serious.

I was searching around and thought I'd direct you to wiki, but then I noticed this site ;)

http://www.businessballs.com/nlpneuro-linguisticprogramming.htm

Then I came across Pegasus NLP Training which uses the slogan NLP for people who like to think for themselves... which I must admit puzzles me as if you learn and use NLP it is essentially about programming your brain and I fnd it hard to square that one with thinking for myself.

The cost of courses can be phenomenal. Many of my "business" colleagues have done courses - especially
those who are self-employed. Most of them swear so much by it that they have gone on to do master classes (bigger bucks) and then trained as trainers....... (megga bucks)

That's how I know so much about it. They needed a client to work on !

Or you could try Neuro-linguistic Programming for Dummies - possibly useful for vaudeville artistes - but I'd advise you to read "Ken's" helpful customer review first.

If you like diagrams, then INPUT - "The world out there, made up of sub-atomic particles" may be your cup of tea.

Best of all, one of it's "creators" was called John Grinder.  :o
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: beagle on August 21, 2008, 09:20:59 PM
Does the imaginary fruit fight back?
I imagine that the conversion of your woe into fruit is why the ones doing it are called fruitcakes, no?  ;) :mrgreen:
---
Honestly, voodoo dolls sound way more practical (less politically correct and fun).

Aggie

Quote from: Griffin NoName on August 21, 2008, 11:21:15 PM
Then I came across Pegasus NLP Training which uses the slogan NLP for people who like to think for themselves... which I must admit puzzles me as if you learn and use NLP it is essentially about programming your brain and I fnd it hard to square that one with thinking for myself.

I don't see it as a conflict, provided you are self-programming based on thinking for yourself.  It's (on the surface) similar to the ideas of autotheism that I have propounded in the past - keeping one's 'self' a bit aside from one's functional mental bits & processes to direct the action. 

Exponentially increasing course fees never really smacked of thinking for one's self to me though (more like Scientology ;)).
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

It's always been presented to me as more directive than that, ie. self-programming based on the NLP way of thinking at best. But in practice when I've been led through any NLP exercise I've always experienced it as being programmed rather than as me being enabled to do it for myself. Possibly one has to pay the megga bucks to become a trainer to experience it as doing it for onself by acquiring the techniques and skills to do it to others ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

pieces o nine

Quote from: Griffin NoNameSomeone is terrified of their father.

They are asked what fruit he would be if he were a fruit. They say apple.

They are told to hold an (imaginary) apple in their right hand.

They are then told to imagine it shrinking, repeat shrink more, until very small apple. Or no apple. (I can't remember which).

Then they are asked: are you frightened any more?

No, they aren't.

They are told, every time they meet their father, do the apple shrink, and never be frightened of him ever again.

Sounz loike thair jest mini-moizen yer problems -- oar else thair hencooredgen ye t'mini-moize 'em yerself.

Wot 'append t'taking responsibillitea hinsted ov mini-moizen?
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Griffin NoName

Quote from: pieces o nine on August 22, 2008, 03:57:47 AM
Sounz loike thair jest mini-moizen yer problems -- oar else thair hencooredgen ye t'mini-moize 'em yerself.

Wot 'append t'taking responsibillitea hinsted ov mini-moizen?

It's the whole Cognitive approach. It does get results which I think is why NLP's greatest hold has been on the business community. After all, if your sales improve it doesn't much matter if at home you are still an emotional wreck ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

beagle

Fortunately the only NLP in my business line is this one, but then I am careful to run a mile from companies who believe in psychometric tests, handwriting analysis or fruit-shrinking.
The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Quote from: From Beagle's Link
........ to design and build software that will analyze, understand, and generate languages that humans use naturally, so that eventually you will be able to address your computer as though you were addressing another person.

So if the aim is successful, no one need ever comminicate with a human again !  Is that an ideal word?
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Instead of dealing with a human fed with the corporate line, you can now deal with a computer fed with the corporate line. ;)