News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Search Puzzle

Started by Griffin NoName, August 21, 2008, 12:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Trying to find a recent post that included "new tricks" and a reference to NLP.

Searched on
new
tricks
"new tricks"
NLP

plus every other combination I could think of.

Nothing found.

Either
1. Search misfunctioning.
2. Post edited or deleted removing matching test.
3. I have Fake Memory
4. I am insane

Does anyone remember anything?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I can tell google isn't indexing the forum because it didn't find anything.  ;)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

It may just mean Google knows I have a Fake Memory or I am insane. ;D

is there anything Google doesn't know?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

Does 'recent' cover the time just before the, you know, evaporation?
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

ivor

Live Search seems to have the most coverage.  I still didn't find anything.  Any more detail on what you were looking for?

beagle

Isn't there some feature in php/MySQL where it won't search for three or less characters? Or maybe that's just a misconfiguration of Bugzilla where I encountered it.
The angels have the phone box

ivor

That was probably application specific.  I don't recall ever having any kind of trouble like that with MySQL.

beagle

Certainly seems to work here (do the search indexes rebuild automatically or can stuff fall through the cracks?).

P.S. Tell the psychos (is that the correct collective noun for a group of psychologists?) that "NLP" stands for "Natural Language Processing" and not "Neurotic Linguini Pastafication" or whatever they've rechristened it.

ivor

I'm not sure that MySQL has full-text indexes like SQL Server.

If I could get a better idea of what we are looking for I can query the MySQL database directly and see what turns up.

beagle

We may have to search Griffin's mind for that.  After you.

Swatopluk

I have the suspicion that the search function only works "below" the page/folder you are on, when you start it. So I do all searches only from the "The Toadfish Monastery" level. Searches still often come up cold.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: pieces o nine on August 21, 2008, 04:48:46 AM
Does 'recent' cover the time just before the, you know, evaporation?
No, more recent than that.

Quote from: beagle on August 21, 2008, 08:46:42 AM
We may have to search Griffin's mind for that.  After you.

Apologies to all. I just searched Griffin's mind. Amongst the other carp I found an indexing error such that ("new tricks" and "NLP") was attached to the wrong forum at the wrong website. I am re-indexing Griffin's mind. This may take several weeks. Please be patient. Thanks.

Additional comments: 

Some forum software will not search for <4 lettered words; doesn't apply here.
I am pretty certain MYSQL does not have full-text indexes; all the evidence is against it.
Unable to tell if Beagle is feigning ignorance: "Neuro-Linguistic Programming, the amazing technique that inculdes shrinking apples unti they do not exist.

Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

While we are at the topic of searching: I'd love to do the rserial translation game and looking for participants. What I'd need are 5-6 persons that have at least working knowledge of one or two other languages* (passive for translation form the other to your own or one you otherwise have active knowledge of, active for translation into that language from one you at least passively know).
I'd sent each participant a few short (let's say 10-20 lines) texts that the person would translate** and send to the next in line. That person would do the same until it returns to the original sender.
It's not necessary that there are five or six languages, 2-3 would be sufficient.

What thread should I post an ad for that in, so that as many as possible see it?

*E.g. my own active knowledge includes German, English, Latin. I think I'd be able to roughly discern the meaning of texts in Dutch, French, Norwegian.
**without using something like babelfish or trying to find the original text. Using dictionaries is OK of course.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Swatopluk on August 21, 2008, 10:34:45 AM
*E.g. my own active knowledge includes German, English, Latin. I think I'd be able to roughly discern the meaning of texts in Dutch, French, Norwegian.

I thought you meant computer programming languages until I read this note!  Was going to tell you that I didn't think the end product would work. On the other hand, if we did do that, we might create the world's most amazing program unwittingly.
Psychic Hotline Host

beagle

Quote from: Griffin NoName on August 21, 2008, 10:21:29 AM
Unable to tell if Beagle is feigning ignorance: "Neuro-Linguistic Programming, the amazing technique that inculdes shrinking apples unti they do not exist.

I resent that. My ignorance is 100% authentic and externally verified.

Is there a large call for shrinking apples in the psychological sphere then? Somehow I'd got the impression there were other priorities ahead of agricultural packing densities.