News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Easy Questions?

Started by Swatopluk, November 15, 2006, 03:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Swatopluk on November 28, 2006, 12:12:36 PM
The earth explanation would fall a bit flat, if the Earth would not spin (no centrifugal force). I think one would have to calculate the potential energy level everywhere on the surface. Any local difference would create a flow towards the lower level.
Extreme case: what would happen with water on a nonspinning disk?
My guess is that it would give an elevated level at the center and a decreased level at the edges (something like 1/(x²+1) [general form, not specific solution]).

How would water distribute on a toroid planet (bagel form)? (either spinning or not spinning).

The SciFi author Hal Clement wrote about a fictional planet that had some interesting traits.

It was a very, very large, but very low density planet.  It had a rate of spin that was sufficiently high, that gravity was noticeably higher at the poles, than at the equator.  Obviously, the planet was not a regular sphere, but flattened, by the high-speed spin.

(I don't remember the title-- "Mission of Gravity" maybe? )

Mr Clement did pretty good hard science-fiction, but he did not consider the planetary stresses induced from such high-speed spinning. I would think that the planet's crust would be under constant "earthquake" conditions-- and likely not all that solidified, either. Tidal frictional heating is not something to be dismissed lightly. :)

Anyway, wanted to add that into the mix:  very large planet, very low density, very high-speed rotation.  Assuming the planet was large enough to have 8 times "earth" gravity at either pole, and the density was roughly 1/2 that of Earth. What would the size be?  And what rotational speed would you need to achieve 1 "earth" gravity at the equator?

I remember that was roughly what Mr Clement had worked out in the story -- but it may have been 3 "earth" gravities at the equator, rather than one.  (Big difference, I know  ;D )

Anyway, how would water behave under such planetary conditions? (Assuming that water was liquid at the planet's surface... <heh>)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Quote from: NoName on November 17, 2006, 08:05:11 PM
there may well be a need for a handy pocket book for distressed parents.

Why don't penguins feet freeze?

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on November 26, 2006, 05:08:14 PM
Tooth Fairy, Santa/Father Christmas, Easter Bunny, Veruca Gnome? and The Government Knows What It's Doing.
First two correct..but in reverse order. Easter Bunny is no. 6 but I only asked for five !!

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on November 28, 2006, 01:48:11 AM
Personally, I think we're to be lauded for adding a new...perspective to scientific inquiry. ;D ;D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ;D ;D
We should have an Ig Nobel Monastery Prize.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Chatty

Well, if it's Southern Moms and Grannies, the others are

"If you keep makin' that face, a cold wind's gonna freeze it that way."

"Eat the crusts off that bread, 'cause it'll make your hair curly."

And the ever popular "Eat your carrots so you can see good at night like bunnies can."

Or "If you keep sickin' your arm out that car window, a truck will knock it off." " Don't do _____, you'll put you eye out." And "If you don't eat your vegetables, your chest isn't ever gonna develop." (The last one for daughters.)

What I wanna know are where are the one-eyed, one armed people with frozen faces, stright hair and no boobs that can't see worth a damn??
This sig area under construction.

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on November 29, 2006, 05:42:06 AM
What I wanna know are where are the one-eyed, one armed people with frozen faces, stright hair and no boobs that can't see worth a damn??

They all live and work in Washington, DC  ;D ;D

Griffin NoName

Ok you got them all. Easy. I guess your last comment is why they are fibs not lies. No, that doesn't add up does it? So what is the difference between a fib and a lie?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Chatty

The difference between a fib and a lie may very well be the difference between a slut and a whore...such an advanced capability that one is considered a professional.

OMG, did I just say that?? I guess I did.

Like politicians. They don't tell fibs, they lie. Professional level. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Griffin NoName

Intriguing. One of my dearest sons called me a slut for not washing the dishes, after eating, when he saw them piled up in the kitchen. I shall now regard that as a compliment  ;D after all I am much too poorly to be an effective whore.

The professional angle, well yes, it seems even politicians (well, some of them, here at least) are beginning to realise their most resounding feature is lying.

But how would one explain it to a child? Is Santa a fib not a lie because it is so obviously untrue? Not to the small child. Is a lie something one truly believes oneself. No, clearly that wont wash either.

Googling gives, a trivial lie, an insignificant or childish lie. But who draws the line and where is the line drawn?
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Chatty

That line is so flexible, so changable as to be anywhere.

Santa's a fib, a lie, a deception, but he's also a 'Wonder of the World' for little kids. Which is worse, to never know the wonderment of seeing the presents there and the snacks gone and everything all sparkly and shiny, or to have to learn about the 'Santa Myth'? There are ways to teach it that make it a positive thing.

Case in point--from an on-line friend of many years duration. (Miss Meow, a teacher in El Paso, Texas.)

In our family, we have a special way of transitioning the kids from receiving from Santa, to becoming a Santa. This way, the Santa construct is not a lie that gets discovered, but an unfolding series of good deeds and Christmas spirit.

When they are 6 or 7, whenever you see that dawning suspicion that Santa may not be a material being, that means the child is ready.

I take them out "for coffee" at the local wherever. We get a booth, order our drinks, and the following pronouncement is made:

" You sure have grown an awful lot this year. Not only are you taller, but I can see that your heart has grown, too. [ Point out 2-3 examples of empathetic behavior, consideration of people's feelings, good deeds etc, the kid has done in the past year]. In fact, your heart has grown so much that  I think you are ready to become a Santa Claus.

You probably have noticed that most of the Santas you see are people dressed up like him. Some of your friends might have even told you that there is no Santa.  A lot of children think that, because they aren't ready to BE a Santa yet, but YOU ARE.

Tell me the best things about Santa. What does Santa get for all of his trouble?[lead the kid from "cookies" to the good feeling of having done something for someone else]. Well, now YOU are ready to do your first job as a Santa!"

Make sure you maintain the proper conspiratorial tone.

We then have the child choose someone they know--a neighbor, usually. The child's mission is to secretly, deviously, find out something that the person needs, and then provide it, wrap it, deliver it--and never reveal to the target where it came from. Being a Santa isn't about getting credit, you see. It's unselfish giving.

My oldest chose the "witch lady" on the corner. She really was horrible--had a fence around the house and would never let the kids go in and get a stray ball or frisbee. She'd yell at them to play quieter, etc--a real pill. He noticed when we drove to school that she came out every morning to get her paper in bare feet, so he decided she needed slippers. So then he had to go spy and decide how big her feet were. He  hid in the bushes one Saturday, and decided she was a medium. We went to Kmart and bought warm slippers. He wrapped them up, and tagged it "merry Christmas from Santa." After dinner one evening, he slipped down to her house, and slid the package under her driveway gate. The next morning,  we watched her  waddle out to get the paper, pick up the present, and go inside. My son was all excited, and couldn't wait to see what would happen next. The next morning, as we drove off, there she was, out getting her paper--wearing the slippers. He was ecstatic. I had to remind him that NO ONE could ever know what he did, or he wouldn't be a Santa.

Over the years, he chose a good number of targets, always coming up with a unique present just for them. One year, he polished up his bike, put a new seat on it, and gave it to one of our friend's daughters. These people were and are very poor. We did ask the dad if it was ok. The look on her face, when she saw the bike on the patio with a big bow on it, was almost as good as the look on my son's face.

When it came time for Son #2 to join the ranks, my oldest came along, and helped with the induction speech. They are both excellent gifters, by the way, and never felt that they had been lied to--because they were let in on the Secret of Being a Santa.

Griffin NoName

Nice one DD.

I'm afraid Santa made the mistake of giving my boys those yellow flash arm bands to wear when cycling when they were small. Blotted his copybook and has never recovered his good reputation with them :)

Never mind. Santa is trying again as usual this year and has some very odd items up his sleeves for them....

Time Santa sent them on a Conversion Course to become Santa's themselves.... great idea. I love it.

A course I took years ago taught that the best things one does are things that no one else ever knows about.... ie. exactly like you describe. I try to live like that. But hadn't thought of it in relation to xmas gifts.
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

Has anyone some new "Easy" Questions?
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Kid's question but I don't know how 'easy'...

Why is the moth attracted to the candle/light?
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

The Meromorph

It isn't.
It's trying to navigate in it's evolved manner by keeping the light source (evolutionarily the Moon) at a fixed angle to fly in a straight line. With a very distant light source (the Moon or Sun) this works very well, with a point light source (like a candle) it results in a spiral flight path which ends in the candle flame. OOPS!
Dances with Motorcycles.

Griffin NoName

Too sad an answer for a New Year. I prefer to believe moths adore the scent of candle smoke (including new-fangled flavours) which is stronger than the sun or moons cos closer (Quasi was correct on the aspect of distance). They therefore follow the scent, depending  on the amount of ventilation in the room which accounts for an indirect path, and reach moth heaven, full on scent of choice. The reason you never see another moth follow suit quickly is they are repelled by the burning moth smell and will not approach until the burning candle smell is smellier than the burning moth spell.

Another question, a special Happy New Year Question:

Why does a teaspon (metal not plastic) popped up side down into the neck of an open bottle of champagne prevent the bubbles from disappearing when the champagne needs saving for another day?
Psychic Hotline Host

Quote from: Griffin NoName The Watson of Sherlock on January 01, 2007, 04:49:51 AM
Too sad an answer for a New Year. I prefer to believe moths adore the scent of candle smoke (including new-fangled flavours) which is stronger than the sun or moons cos closer (Quasi was correct on the aspect of distance). They therefore follow the scent, depending  on the amount of ventilation in the room which accounts for an indirect path, and reach moth heaven, full on scent of choice. The reason you never see another moth follow suit quickly is they are repelled by the burning moth smell and will not approach until the burning candle smell is smellier than the burning moth spell.

Another question, a special Happy New Year Question:

Why does a teaspon (metal not plastic) popped up side down into the neck of an open bottle of champagne prevent the bubbles from disappearing when the champagne needs saving for another day?

Actually, this one was on MythBusters awhile back-- and they concluded it didn't actually do anything .. ::)

Griffin NoName

The people I am staying with use the spoon trick and it works for them. If it doesn't work, this must imply that the Champagne they drink would not lose its bubbles anyway, or there is some strange set of conditions in their home environment. Or they are lying. Clearly more research needed.
Psychic Hotline Host