News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

40th anniversary of moon landing - what words do you recall?

Started by Bluenose, July 19, 2009, 11:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these mean the most to you looking back to the moon landing?

One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind
Houstin, Tranquility base.  The Eagle has landed
Something else - please specifiy

Pachyderm

Bluenose, I think the man you refer to may well be Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown, who has logged more types of aircraft flown than anyone, and still holds the world record for carrier landings.
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Opsa

Swatopluk

In all fairness, there was work in the US on a promising jet engine before the Germans began to heavily invest in the idea.  If that had not been put on the backburner the Me-262 might have faced a superior US jet fighter instead of a just slightly inferior piston engine one (Mustang with British* engine).
The German jet engines were superior in design to the British but were severely impeded by the need to use cheap available resources giving them a service life of a just a few hours.

*the Brits also turned the Sherman into a tank of actual value by putting a suitable gun on it (Sherman Firefly)
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

pieces o nine

I watched it live and what passed for replays on subsequent news days. My little brother arranged a stack of yardsticks into the outlines of a Saturn V rocket on the living room floor, and spent several days playing in the 'capsule' area.

The other words I recall in association with this event are from JFK's "We Choose to Go to the Moon" speech, because my brother was so jazzed by the event he purchased a 45 rpm* intersplicing some of those mission broadcasts with The Speech. To get further into the mood, he listened to The Speech several times and then carefully transcribed it in his Big Chief tablet as follows:

Quote from: pieces' brother as a childe...
But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask.

Why climb the highest mountain?

:smartass:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
* For ye younguns:

"45 RPM" was an auncient, Dark Ages technology whereby a single audioo selection of about 3-5 minutes was recorded onto, and played back from, a shiny black plastic disk with a "phonograph" "needle"...
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

beagle

> Something else - please specifiy

"You can stay up late"

(I was 9).  Like I remember Churchill's funeral in 1965 because I was given a new toy to keep me quiet.  Such is History, a question of perspective...

The angels have the phone box

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: pieces o nine on July 23, 2009, 06:43:31 AM
"45 RPM" was an auncient, Dark Ages technology whereby a single audioo selection of about 3-5 minutes was recorded onto, and played back from, a shiny black plastic disk with a "phonograph" "needle"...
My gram-pa had some of those but more 78 RPM ones (a darker age tech). BTW he considered the task impossible until that Armstrong guy showed up in the surface while my dad and uncle listened to the Beatles to annoy him. ;)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.