News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Morality of liberals versus conservatives

Started by Scriblerus the Philosophe, September 17, 2008, 06:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Super interesting TED talk about what values conservatives cherish and which ones liberals cherish, and how that relates to what we debate about.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Opsa

Very interesting, but inconclusive, I thought.

What does one do with moral humilty? How can it improve things? Does it just open up discussion, as we try to, here? If one side is "closed", how can it be reached?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Thank you Kana, TED is enlightening (as usual) ;).
---
I guess his point is that the first step is to look into ourselves, and the second to try to understand the point of view of the other side without placing a moral price tag to it.

He certainly doesn't say how to convince the others to change their mind and how to make them realize they are 'wrong' but then that would assume that we are 'right', which isn't the case either.
---
My mother-in-law makes me cringe internally every time she says that she agrees with removing Saddam from power. Her moral argument is that the guy was a monster and -regardless of the consequences- it was better to take him out of the picture. The argument bothers me because I know that the guy was evil and responsible for countless deaths, but then again the price of removing him was a quarter of a million lives and counting. How many people would have died in the possible decades left with him in power, as a direct cause of his administration? How many more people will die now that he isn't there?

There isn't a happy answer to that and many other moral arguments, but understanding them brings me a bit closer to those who spouse ideas contrary to my beliefs and that may be improvement.

Edit: I did the test they mentioned in yourmorals.org and this is my result;

No surprises there.  :mrgreen:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

I started to take the morality test, but found it unclear.

We are asked whether or not some factor would affect our decision on an issue.  but then they gave us vague situations. For instance, I would say that if someone 'disobeyed authority', it would depend on the circumstance. For instance, if a person disobeyed a traffic law, I would be affected in a small way, but if a person was in a fascist army and decided to disobey authority, I would be very affected by his courage to stand up for what he saw to be right.

To much grey area for my grey matter!

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I had the same reaction when I got to the question of something 'disgusting'. For instance I find child rape disgusting, and furry sex hilarious...  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously speaking, it becomes more or less clear after you read all questions, besides those tests (like the one in policalcompass.org) try to force you to take a stance on a gray area to determine your leanings.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Scriblerus the Philosophe

"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay