News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Power, corruption and human nature

Started by Darlica, March 30, 2008, 08:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

I think the mistress was for pleasure, the queen for progeny*. That way the marriage would be guided by rational (mainly dynastic) principles. The monarch's base urges could be satiated but still in a formalized way (avoiding the trouble quite common elsewhere with philandering).
There were some queens that would actually have preferred it that way (even if their head was not at stake as with Henry VIII).

*this also follows in a way the church doctrine that "a woman's husband should not be her lover"**
**the "visions" of some saints regularly included men in hell for having too passionate sex with their wifes.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Aggie

Quote from: Swatopluk on April 03, 2008, 10:01:30 AM
**the "visions" of some saints regularly included men in hell for having too passionate sex with their wifes.

:devil2: It's a good thing I'm going there anyways. :devil2:

;)
WWDDD?

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Quote from: Swatopluk on April 03, 2008, 10:01:30 AM
*this also follows in a way the church doctrine that "a woman's husband should not be her lover"**

Where does that leave the wife? She can't have a toy on the side, legally speaking, but isn't supposed to enjoy what her husband has to offer?
Good thing I ain't a queen. I'd get really bored, very fast, and find someone to distract me.
AND I'd take the Mistress shopping, leaving the King to his own devices.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

pieces o nine

That is by no means an outdated idea. Remember JP2s theologians offering as a cogent argument against birth control the assertion that it cheapens the value of the woman by permitting her husband to commit adultery with his own wife within the marriage?

Those guys really need to get out more! Maybe a nice, long stint performing practical, front-line care for actual human beings, rather than the imaginary ones they write about, would be helpful.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Quote from: pieces o nine on April 05, 2008, 04:48:42 AM
That is by no means an outdated idea. Remember JP2s theologians offering as a cogent argument against birth control the assertion that it cheapens the value of the woman by permitting her husband to commit adultery with his own wife within the marriage?
I had no idea such a concept existed. How did they explain the mechanics of committing adultery with one's own wife?

Quote from: pieces o nine on April 05, 2008, 04:48:42 AM
Those guys really need to get out more! Maybe a nice, long stint performing practical, front-line care for actual human beings, rather than the imaginary ones they write about, would be helpful.
Amen...er...
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Scriblerus the Philosophe on April 05, 2008, 05:58:12 AM
Amen...er...

Ruumble? 

(as in the noise a toadfish sometimes makes, as a sign of agreement)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)