News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Embryo Research

Started by Griffin NoName, March 25, 2008, 11:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I guess it the idea behind the bill kinda makes sense: it should be illegal to implant a genetically modified embryo in a woman. The questions regarding using modified animal ova is more related to the differences any new cells may have compared to regular human cells. It seems that mitochondrial DNA from the animal remains in the ova hence the question: any new cells would have such mitochondria? Does that change the potential of the cells? Would a human body accept or reject such tissue? Looking forward, can stem cells created in such way be used to repair ovaries/testicles and would the ova/sperm generated by such tissue have the animal's mitocondrial DNA? What would be the consequences of such thing?

That sounds like a fair scientific debate.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on April 01, 2008, 01:15:58 AM
Looking forward, can stem cells created in such way be used to repair ovaries/testicles and would the ova/sperm generated by such tissue have the animal's mitocondrial DNA? What would be the consequences of such thing?

That sounds like a fair scientific debate.

Yes it would be.

Mind, I'm having fantasies of tinned stem cells one could buy at the supermarket, labelled "do not use on ovaries/testicles".  :mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

Quote from: Griffin NoName
Mind, I'm having fantasies of tinned stem cells one could buy at the supermarket, labelled "do not use on ovaries/testicles".  :mrgreen:

Somewhere, an entire cadre of litigation lawyers is convening in secret to begin preparing their arguments -- and their billing structures -- for just this eventuality...
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Griffin NoName

:update:

The Bill goes forward with hybrid embryo research and sibling saviours permitted.

More debates and votes today, but so far so good.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand