News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

NOMOROBO!

Started by Opsa, August 28, 2013, 03:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

I heard about this last night on the news. There's going to be a new way to block robocalls soon called NOMOROBO. If you go to the site you can sign up for updates.

I was on the National Do Not Call list to block spammy phone calls, but robocalls somehow get around that, and the worst thing about them is that they do not often give you a way to make them stop calling you. A live person legally has to put you on their Do Not Call list if you ask them to, but how do you say that to a robot?

I hope this will help, because I have received at least seven or eight "This is your final notice to get better credit card rates" calls.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Actually you can report the number, provided that the robocall isn't 'private'.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

To whom do you report it?

Griffin NoName

I get cold calls which show up as "International" (no number). Because my son is in Australia I always rush to pick them up and think something is wrong. I get very very cross. Last week, one such, asked for me by name, stupidly I said yes it was me, he said, oh good I'll put you on our database, and rang off. I felt so invaded and angry. Like I'd been tricked, well I had. Now I say, who is calling before I say it is me.

Just found this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23869462
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bruder Cuzzen

That is the reason I got rid of my landline .I must have received 5 calls daily from charities , telemarketers , and companies conducting surveys. My bank would conduct the same survey 4 or 5 times every year . They still do so with my android but I've saved their number and labelled them under " avoid answering " .

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Opsa

Thank you, Zone. Still, it seems a shame that we have to go to that effort to file a complaint when all they do is set up their robot and then sit back while we are pestered in the privacy of our homes.

Opsa

Well, NOMOROBO is finally up. I got an email notification from them with a link, but guess what? I entered my carrier and got a reply that sorry, it doesn't work with that carrier! BTW- my carrier is Verizon. Apparently they do Verizon Fios but not just plain Verizon. So then I emtered my cell phone, and GUESS WHAT? It doesn't work with Tracfone, either.

So what the heck good is it?
::)

pieces o nine

^ rat!  I detest those calls!
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Griffin NoName

My nuisance calls are always "International" which means they don't take any notice of the UK telephone preferences service. They are almost always Asian (Indian?). I can't see any way they ever could be stopped.

One woke me from a deep sleep two days ago, and result was too tired do anything for the rest of the day - ie. one unwanted phone call ruined 24 hours. This was because I forgot to switch the bell off before sleeping. So it's not just a nuisance, it affects my health badly.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

roystonoboogie

Apologies (once again) for the thread necromancy, but Griffin - our local Trading Standards department is recommending this: Truecall.

QuotetrueCall Call Blocker is like having a home receptionist who lets calls from your friends and family straight through, blocks unwelcome callers, and asks unrecognised callers to identify themselves before it puts them through. This gives you peace and quiet at home.

trueCall Call Blocker is easy to set up – you just plug it in between your phone and the wall socket and it quickly learns who you like to speak to and who you don't. You decide how you want it to handle your calls, and trueCall Call Blocker does the rest.

It gets good reviews from people who are using it.

Griffin NoName

I'm glad it gets good reviews - it should be good at the price. But thanks. Oddly enough the international calls I've had since that last post were my son and/or my grandaughter.....
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Also, if the goal is to screen the calls using Google Voice can be useful, but will only work for those people you give your phone to, so marketing calls currently arriving to your landline or cell will still go there.