News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Can I Haz Sum PLZ!

Started by The Meromorph, August 30, 2010, 10:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Meromorph

Dances with Motorcycles.

Aggie

No, thank'ee!

But I am speculating on what type of a pressure vessel would be needed to deep-'fry' in pure ethanol. ;D
WWDDD?

Lindorm

Science and human progress marches ever on... ;D

I wonder if he has added some sort of gelling agent to the beer to stabilize it during the frying? I suspect, though, that the main culprit is some sort of surface treatment of the dough pocket insides, perhaps spraying them with some sort of gelling or stabilizing agent (carragenans?). I do know that some of the upper-end "molecular gastronomy" chefs are doing similar stuff with gelled stuff encapsulating some liquid and then heat or cold-treating the whole shebang, to get "inside-out" eggs or chilled melon bubbles containing hot bacon grease or whatnot. The surface treatment would probably fit well with the description of the dough as "salty and pretzel-like".

From the description, the beer inside is supposed to squirt out in your mouth when you bite the deep-fried pocket, which could be quite painful, if the whole thing was deep fried to a high temperature. On the other hand, since they brag on their website that they had to get approval from Texas authorities to sell this stuff, and it can't be sold to under-21s, it seems as if any deepfrying that is done, is a relatively mild and low-temperature one, since the alchohol in the beer doesn't seem to evaporate, or escape from the dough pocket.

I'm not so sure I would like to taste one -though deep fried mars bars are actually quite good, I have made them myself on several occasions! :)
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)