News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

On the Mend

Started by Opsa, March 04, 2010, 06:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

Oye, I've been sick. I've had a stuffy head for about three weeks, now. Yesterday it kicked into full-blown illness: headache, nausea, sore throat, full-body achiness and exhaustion. Turns out my sinuses are infected. The doc gave me a Z-pack and today I am feeling lots better!

I am grateful to be here.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Sorry to hear that, take lots of liquids, vitamin C, and rest.   :-*
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

Glad to hear you are feeling better - do you neti?  It might help prevent future infections and chase this one out.
WWDDD?

pieces o nine

So sorry to hear you are sick!   

1. Use soft tissues.   :sneeze:

2. Get plenty of rest.   

3. Follow doctor's orders.   

4. Drink lots of Vitamin C.   

Hope you are feeling right again soon!    :glomp:   
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

:stupid:

Glad you're now better.  Take it easy!
I don't think any of the above advice mentioned rum.

Darlica

:hug:

It's that season.
I'm floored too, with pretty much the same symptoms, I went to see a doctor two days ago and got some penicillin. I hope that does the trick.

I hope you get well soon!
:goodvibes:

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Scriblerus the Philosophe

"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Opsa

Thank you, my Sibs.

I did Neti Pot a few times about a week ago. The problem was that I was draining like crazy. I think it would have been more helpful if my sinuses were not draining and needed a boost.

My doc said that I was draining, but that there was a big old clump of infected yerk way up in there that needed coming out. We suspect that the Loratadine I was taking daily for allergies was keeping it all packed up in there, so I have stopped taking that.

I am allergic to penicillin, so I'm on Azithromycin. I felt loads better yesterday, but today the infection is putting up a fight and I'm wiped. But that's better than I was on Wednesday.

Griffin NoName

Get better quickly.

I've got a bad throat, thick head. Caught from grand-daughter.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Afterglow

Soon better you should get ...  :P
JUST HERE but sometimes THERE!

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Oooh.... sympathies to all my sybs who are less than their best.

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

pieces o nine

Most of my circle use a neti pot, bu I just cannot bring myself to try it ... (something to do with ancient childhood memory of nearly drowning, oi finks) ...

Do you use any aromatherapy oils?
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"

Aggie

I used to have a straight snort (snuff) of peppermint oil for clogged sinuses. NOT recommended!

Peppermint and eucalyptus dropped in a cup of boiled water (i.e. tea temp) can work wonders, however.
WWDDD?

Sibling DavidH

Mrs H bought some menthol-type inhalation stuff in Egypt.  You put some in a bowl of hot water and sniff it with a cloth over your head.  It would knock out a camel, no wonder the poor old Sphinx looks the way it does. My eyeballs stung for days.  Cross that one off your list.   :mrgreen:

Quote from: pieces o nine on March 06, 2010, 04:08:25 AM
Most of my circle use a neti pot, bu I just cannot bring myself to try it ... (something to do with ancient childhood memory of nearly drowning, oi finks) ...

Do you use any aromatherapy oils?

One of my best buds uses this thing frequently, he says.

I cannot stand liquid in my nose, so I've never tried it-- in any case, I can usually clear my sinuses with a large mug o'hot tea, drunk as quickly as I'm able.  The only real side effect, aside from re-hydrating my sinuses, is it makes copious quantities of tea-pee.   ::)

I guess I'm fortunate:  I suffer mostly from too-dry sinuses, which can be mildly painful at times.

Griffin NoName

Had no idea what you were talking about until I found this:

Wish I'd stayed ignorant ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

How far does it go between in and out?

I'm told, by someone who actually uses this thing daily, that you use warm water, laced with salt and baking soda.   He and I were talking about it once, and he uses pre-mixed 'packets' which he adds to warm water.

I asked, why not just use some ordinary table-salt?  He said there are recipes out there for the mix, but they all advocate 'non-iodized salt'. 

Which immediately got my skeptical hackles up:  the amount of iodine in table salt is so very minute, that you cannot taste the vile stuff. 

And you are diluting this with water to the consistency of eyewash saline-- very, very dilute-- I've had soy sauce with more salt.  Then, you put in baking soda-- a buffering chemical (tends to make liquids both non-acid and non-alkaline). 

The amount of iodine that would be present in these quantities would barely be measurable by a lab-- your nose cannot tell, moreover, absorbing some of the iodine might be benificial.

He was adamant-- no iodized salt..  I dropped it.   

Homeopathy.

::)  ;D

Quote from: DavidH on March 06, 2010, 07:00:27 PM
How far does it go between in and out?

As deep into your sinuses as you can stand.  Some users advocate holding the "off" nostril closed, letting the liquid "soak" and then lean forward letting it all run out.  Then do the 'off' side in a similar fashion.  Obviously, good breath control is a must, as is keeping your head down, (nose pointed to sink) so you don't let anything run down into your throat.  *yuuck*

I cannot stand stuff up my nose, so I'm disinclined to try.

beagle

Quote from: DavidH on March 06, 2010, 09:56:02 AM
Mrs H bought some menthol-type inhalation stuff in Egypt.  You put some in a bowl of hot water and sniff it with a cloth over your head.  It would knock out a camel, no wonder the poor old Sphinx looks the way it does. My eyeballs stung for days.  Cross that one off your list.   :mrgreen:

It's not just an Egyptian thing, but as you say you only want a few menthol crystals in a bowl of hot water. I tried a teaspoon full the first time and couldn't even get in the same room with it.
The angels have the phone box

Aggie

I haven't used baking soda for the neti solution, usually just a little salt.  I've heard the non-iodized stipulation, and also that sea salt should not be used (only pure NaCl).  I do use sea salt sometimes. 

There seems to be some buzz on the net about using xylitol in the neti solution; I may give it a go.  I could just throw a little toothpaste in the pot if it wasn't for the peppermint oil (make my own baking soda and xylitol toothpase; we have fluoridated water here).  I have some extra toothpaste base (saturated xylitol/NaHCO3 supernatant) that could probably be salted and used as a neti 'syrup'.

For heavy congestion, having the neti flow into the back of your throat really cleans the pipes.  Too difficult for me to do most of the time, as you need to close up your throat to catch the crap that drains out, and then spit it up.
WWDDD?

Quote from: Agujjim on March 07, 2010, 12:34:39 AM
  I've heard the non-iodized stipulation, and also that sea salt should not be used (only pure NaCl).  I do use sea salt sometimes.  .

Anyone able to give a non-homeopathic reason to avoid iodized salt?  I.e. a reason based on sound science?

Aggie

Dunno on that one, I can't think of one offhand at the concentrations used - I tend to think it's not homeopathy but just the 'additives are bad, m'kay?' mentality.  It may be irritating to the sinuses, though, or perceived to be. 

WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Apparently if you do it regularly it destroys your nose, or sinuses or something. Probably like snorting coke.

Also, it's supposed to go in one nostril and out the other. I read the wiki.

;D
Psychic Hotline Host

Quote from: Griffin NoName on March 07, 2010, 02:14:49 PM
Apparently if you do it regularly it destroys your nose, or sinuses or something. Probably like snorting coke.

Also, it's supposed to go in one nostril and out the other. I read the wiki.

;D

"destroys the nose"?  Right.  ::)

In one out the other?  yuuuck.   One more reason not to try-- the thought of that makes me cringe/shiver.

I have enough stuff goin' in me 'ead an'out th'other side as it is.....  :P ;D

pieces o nine

Actually, my neti-using friends swear by them. Their nasal septums are intact, they seems to catch less colds, and suffer less from those they catch. One honorary 'dad' I have was convinced to try one by his (very mainstream) doctor, and experienced significantly less sinus problems this winter.

I accept their results; I just can't get past my irrational fear of pouring water up *my* nose, and am left with this far more attractive recourse:
:sneeze:    ;)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

So, perhaps I'm out of the norm but having water in my nose is usually very, very painful, I don't know if it has something to do with my frequent rhinitis but it hurts royally.

So, nope, thank you but no thank you, I won't be doing it any time soon.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

I was able to do it using some specially formulated neti pot salts. You add about a quarter teaspoon to lukewarm water.

I found the only way I could do it was to lean my head sideways over the sink and breathe through my mouth like I was snoring. The first time it went down my sleeve. the second time it went down my throat. Finally I got it to go out the other nostril. It was not entirely unpleasant, but not really helpful, either. But at that point I all ready had a sinus infection way, way up in the upper sinuses where the neti water could not have reached.

I've done better just having a cool mist humidifier in my room at night.

Quote from: Opsanus tau on March 08, 2010, 04:45:43 PM
....I've done better just having a cool mist humidifier in my room at night.

Now, those-- I like.  In winter, I sometimes use the hot-mist ones, even though they are higher maintenance.

Opsa

I kind of like the noise it makes, too- but Mr. Ops does not appreciate it as much.

Aggie

I neti in the shower, less worry about where it ends up that way. ;)
WWDDD?

Lindorm

I do the nose-rinse-thing from time to time -when I have a cold and my nose is really clogged, it does seem to help in getting rid of some of the yuckiness. It is also nice to use it from time to time after work, considering the amount of dust I sometimes get exposed to (brake dust, mainly). I don't use any special pots or cans or holistic fire hydrants, just ordinary saline solution in little ampoules normally used as an eye rinse. Simple, easy to use, hygienic, and easy to put a few in the backpack.
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Sibling DavidH

The Ferret Song

I've got a ferret sticking up my nose.
CHORUS: He's got a ferret sticking up his nose.
How it got there I can't tell,
but now it's there it hurts like hell,
And what is more it radically affects
my sense of smell.His sense of smell.

I can see a bare-bottomed mandril,
Slyly eying my other nostril.
If he jumps inside there too I really won't know what to do,
I'll be the proud possessor of a kind of nasal zoo. A nasal zoo.

I've got a ferret sticking up my nose,
And what is worse it constantly explodes.
Ferrets don't explode you say but it happened nine times yesterday,
And I should know 'cause each time I was standing in the way. 'Ding in the way

Tune: The Rose of England
Authors: Graham Chapman & John Cleese