News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Good News Channel

Started by Darlica, May 28, 2008, 09:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Bart

Come on matey...you can't beat a nice set of Buboes.  All the Greeks had to offer was some dodgy philosophy, crumbly ill advised un-earthquake friendly architecture and the odd scrap with the Persians.
She was only the Lighthouse Keeper's daughter, but she never went out at night

Alpaca

Quote from: beagle on July 17, 2008, 07:14:30 AM
Ah right. Wonder why they picked the plague rather than classical Greece and Rome. Perhaps they didn't want to courrupt American youth with tales of evil polytheists. Or they figured you'd watch it on HBO anyway.

I believe there's another AP exam for what they call "World History" (it's true that the Greeks and Romans didn't exactly confine themselves to Europe). Also, the plague is apparently a very popular place to start - in my first two years of high school, there were two required history courses for everybody. (APs in later years are very optional. And "challenging.") The first went from prehistory to... um... whatever the teacher could cover... and the second started at the plague and went to... um... I think we finished World War I?

APs have an actual standardized curriculum, though. And I had an excellent teacher this past year.
There is a pleasure sure to being mad
That only madmen know.
--John Dryden

Griffin NoName

History at Oxford University starts at 300 A.D.

:mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

So they skip that era that featured Racquel Welch in a fur bikini then?
At least they don't start at 4004 B.C.

A certain other place keeps giving me annoying hints its 800th birthday is coming up and it would quite like a nice present.
The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

I only said it started there :mrgreen:

In the second year, you can study Greek History c.650 BC ;D (or later Roman of course).

As to the other place, move, and leave no forwarding address. (..... could failure to do this possibly be why I am the only person who gets bothered by this kind of problem in our family).
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName on July 17, 2008, 07:02:29 PM

In the second year, you can study Greek History c.650 BC ;D (or later Roman of course).

As to the other place, move, and leave no forwarding address. (..... could failure to do this possibly be why I am the only person who gets bothered by this kind of problem in our family).

I, as a policy, never, ever leave forwarding addresses.   I specifically notify only those businesses or persons whom I want to send me mail.  The others can find me at their own expense... ::)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

beagle

Quote from: Griffin NoName on July 17, 2008, 07:02:29 PM

Trust them to be going the opposite way to everybody else.

That only works for the beginners. To shake off the Readers Digest it took the "pile of clothes on the beach" technique, and this lot and Everest double-glazing seem to have psychic limpet skills.

Black Bart

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Black Bart on July 18, 2008, 02:09:30 PM
Don't even mention Everest Double glazing...it turns me into someone from that old sketch by Abbot and Costello:

I expect that's why Beagle mentioned it ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

beagle

After stalemate for decades suddenly it looks like progress on prostate cancer with Abiraterone , and on Alzheimers with Rember.

Black Bart

But still no progress on Everest Double Glazing!

beagle

Near where I live there's a converted warehouse with a third floor door leading straight out into space above a stream.  It's given me an idea.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on July 31, 2008, 09:21:34 PM
After stalemate for decades suddenly it looks like progress on prostate cancer with Abiraterone , and on Alzheimers with Rember.

progress.....mumble....mumble....mumble.....but when will every patient have free and equal access in every postcode?.... mutter....mutter....grumble.

And judging by Black Bart's change of appearance we desperately need some stronger drugs very quickly, right here, right now, never mind his concerns with glazing.
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Chatty

Oi finks Bartie looks luverly!!

Byootifel beard...room fer several bird nests!
This sig area under construction.

Black Bart

Thank you so much...it makes all the tickling worth while. ;D