News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Tea Time!

Started by Aggie, July 26, 2012, 06:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Aggie on July 29, 2012, 07:04:55 PM
We don't have proper iced tea up here...  all 'Iced Tea' is a non-carbonated soda-type soft drink with similar high-fructose corn syrup content to other sodas. I'm sure none of it has ever seen a leaf of Camilla sinensis on this side of an extract-factory wall. :P

Some places here do that-- pre-packaged "tea" in a kind of liquid concentrate.   Horrid-- but still....

... even that drek is (by my calculation) 1000% better that any of the sugar-swill that either Coke or Pepsi offers up.   Lots of lemon can go a long ways to fixing "tea-made-with-concentrate".

Fortunately?  One of the local Quicky-Marts/Seven-Eleven chains (called Quick Trip) has started serving up real brewed tea-- well, brewed from real tea leaves at least.   Okay, it's not strictly British type of tea-brewing, but it's bettern' -from-concentrate.   They basically slowly pour near-boiling water through a paper basket filled with tea leaves, not unlike making drip coffee.   It makes for a very mild tea (zero bitter oils make it out of the leaves using this method-- the water's too cold, and the paper traps what little does come out).   But I like it very much-- it comes both plain at real-cane sugared.  I sometimes indulge myself with a 25% sweet/75% unsweet mix-up.  You get to serve yourself directly from the urns they make it into.

At the end of a really, really long hot & sweaty day?  34 ounces of pure heaven poured over 64 ounces of crushed ice is just what I need to finish the day.   I always go in with two of their refillable, insulated plastic mugs:  34 ounces of undiluted tea, and a free ice-up in the 64 ounce one.    If I simply poured tea directly into the 64 ounce one full of ice?  I only get 20 ounces... yes, I actually performed an experiment to confirm this ratio...  ;D  (... and yes, I also have a 20 ounce refillable mug-- for wintertime, and hot stuff naturally...)

I like Quick Trip-- they may be fast-service, but they have seemed to take great pains to deliver quality goods.  Daily renewal of their donut section, for example.   They ensure a fresh supply daily, by running a sale:  everything in the case is $.50 after 3pm.   Or free, if you're a cop... (same as soft drinks/coffee:  cops never pay for that).   They have a hotdog section too-- good quality meats (I've seen the packaging).  They toss'em out, if unsold at the end of each day-- no 3 months old rolling wooden/burnt dogs here.  I know they do this, too-- at around 3am, in fact, as I once wanted one that late... just missed the throw-out.  Pity.

But teas?  The newest stores have, like 8 different flavors of brewed teas in a special tea-only section of the store... heavenly for someone as lazy as myself, but mildly particular about tea.

:D

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on July 29, 2012, 07:28:51 PM
I thought in Australia they smacked your cup down on the table and said, 'if you don't like sugar, don't stir it'.

A mate of mine takes the mickey out of the '2½ sugars' bit by always asking for 2 milks.

:ROFL:   "don't stir" ... Love it!

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Opsa

Where I live we have this usually dreadful offering called sweet tea- overbrewed and oversweetened, IMO. I never touch it, unless desperate. However- I will drink iced Chai. I guess the spiciness forgives some sweetness.

Bluenose

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on July 29, 2012, 07:28:51 PM
I thought in Australia they smacked your cup down on the table and said, 'if you don't like sugar, don't stir it'.

A mate of mine takes the mickey out of the '2½ sugars' bit by always asking for 2 milks.

:ROFL:

Well there is that sort of thing, but generally that is amongst what could be described as "old Australians" (as distinct from Aboriginal Australians), IOW those who grew up in the fifties and earlier.

These days coffee has taken over for a lot of people, and in Melbourne there are A LOT of places where you can get really good coffee.  In fact the larger US based coffee chains have had a lot of trouble here because their coffee is terrible and why would you bother when any cafe you might find around the corner probably makes better?

Anyway, back to tea.  There is alot of variety in what is available.  Peronally I like many different teas.  With the Russian caravan, I use about twice the normal amount of tea and brew it only until it is a mid golden brown colour.  That way you get lots of flavour without too much tannin.  Other favourites include Earl Grey, which I drink black, with or without lemon but never with milk or sugar.  Actually, for the most part I don't use sugar in tea at all.  Other favourites are Orange Peako and Darjeeling.  I find both of these very refreshing.  I usually have these with just a little amount of milk.  This is something that Mrs Blue and I disagree on.  She likes normal strength tea but lots of milk.  I like strong tea (using more than normal amount of leaf but not brewed to the point of excessive tannin extraction) and just a small amount of milk, or black.  I've never really been able to get into iced tea.  I've had it on occasion and enjoyed it, but it would never be my cold drink of choice.  As for those sweetened things you guys are talking about, I couldn't think of anything worse.

BTW, if anyone ever offers you some "Genuine Australian tea" or "bush tea" (it will state something like includes some eucalyptus flavour) run away, do not pass go, do not collect $200.  It is an abomination.  However, I have had some "Australian" breakfast tea.  I don't know what to say except that it was just a run of the mill black tea, inoffensive but with no over riding character and no obvious faults, quite Ok but I wouldn't write home about it.

Finally the best cup of tea I ever had was at the Indian Naval Air Station at Cochin.  I was waiting for an officer I had met the previous night at the cocktail party on board HMAS Melbourne (the aircraft carrier).  I was led to the Wardroom library, which was a typical old Royal Navy type of thing, over stuffed leather chairs, floor to ceiling glass fronted book cases, the whole deal.  A steward asked me if I would like a cup of tea while I waited.  He returned with a lovely bone china cup and saucer and a vacuum flask of very sweet, very milky tea - not at all the way I usually like my tea.  It was absolute heaven.  On refelction, I figured that if the Indian Navy couldn't get good tea, no one could.  Despite the sugar and milk, or perhaps even because of, it was absolutely wonderful!

Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

That's interesting, Blue-- over here in the "IwantitNOW" land, you rarely see teas with milk (or any milk-like-substance).   Sugar?  Sure-- over-sugared most of the time (like the equivalent of 4 or 5 sugar packets to a 16 ounce drink... not unlike honey, actually...), but rarely milk or cream(er).

Coffee's a different animal, though-- the varieties of ersatz "creamers" available here is sometimes overwhelming, come to think of it.   What's odd?  Few of these things have ever seen the inside of a cow (or goat or sheep or any other animal)... "non-dairy creamer" sounds like a kind of alien plot: 

"they are replacing our diary cows with.... aliens!"

But tea is considered "tea", regardless-- and nearly always iced.   You never get asked "what sort of tea?", nor do most places even offer a hot version (and those that do?  Never ask what sort of tea you want-- tea's tea to the US culture...).

Even your Asian eateries, who almost always offer hot tea, do not ask what sort (china black is the most common, but orange pekoe is also common, and many offer a Chinese brand that has no English on it at all....) but they do usually bring some sort of tea pot with hot(ish) water, and a couple of packets of tea in paper.   Brew it up to your liking, I guess.  A few bring out a very mild green tea of some sort (at least, it brews up as light, mild tea).  Those are the best, as far as eating out goes.

Denny's, a place I haven't been to in years (got out of the habit, when they re-organized, and temporarily closed their stores for a year or so) used to offer up a selection of hot teas-- they'd bring a thermos of hot water, and a small wicker basket of a selection of individually-wrapped tea bags ... kinda nice.   However, the more obscure choices?  Who knows how log they've been sitting there... years and years, maybe...

... heh.

Aggie

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on July 31, 2012, 03:10:14 PM
Even your Asian eateries, who almost always offer hot tea, do not ask what sort (china black is the most common, but orange pekoe is also common, and many offer a Chinese brand that has no English on it at all....) but they do usually bring some sort of tea pot with hot(ish) water, and a couple of packets of tea in paper.   Brew it up to your liking, I guess.  A few bring out a very mild green tea of some sort (at least, it brews up as light, mild tea).  Those are the best, as far as eating out goes.

Typically here (at least in Cowtown) it's jasmine green tea in Vietnamese restaurants, black or oolong in more authentic Chinese restaurants, and green in sushi places.  Canadian-style Chinese places usually have some kind of green tea around.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

:offtopic:
Quote from: Bluenose on July 31, 2012, 10:54:09 AM
In fact the larger US based coffee chains have had a lot of trouble here because their coffee is terrible and why would you bother when any cafe you might find around the corner probably makes better?
Perhaps it is because I am Colombian but I not only agree fully about said chain, but fail to understand how is that so many people buy their overpriced (and frequently awful) stuff.
/ :offtopic:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Bluenose

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on July 31, 2012, 03:10:14 PM
Even your Asian eateries, who almost always offer hot tea, do not ask what sort (china black is the most common, but orange pekoe is also common, and many offer a Chinese brand that has no English on it

A thing I learned when I was in Sri Lanka is that there is orange peako and there's broken orange peako (BKOP).  The latter is much more common and is what is usually dispensed as "orange peako".  Whilst BKOP can make an excellent cuppa, the pure stuff can have a subtle aroma and flavour - indeed an "oranginess" that is quite exquisite.  It's rather like blended scotch versus single malts.  There are some great blends, and some not so great single malts, but the best single malts are in a class of their own.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Griffin NoName

What we have here is lots of "Bog Standard" tea, served with sugar it is good for workmen (builders tea) and for curing shock.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

I think the standard bog tea out here is Rhododendron, although it's not very common except among backwoods types.  ;)
WWDDD?

Bluenose

Quote from: Griffin NoName on August 02, 2012, 06:01:06 AM
What we have here is lots of "Bog Standard" tea, served with sugar it is good for workmen (builders tea) and for curing shock.

If it's anything like standard builders' tea over here, it could probably make a good stand in for paint stripper too...

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on August 01, 2012, 08:22:59 PM
:offtopic:
Quote from: Bluenose on July 31, 2012, 10:54:09 AM
In fact the larger US based coffee chains have had a lot of trouble here because their coffee is terrible and why would you bother when any cafe you might find around the corner probably makes better?
Perhaps it is because I am Colombian but I not only agree fully about said chain, but fail to understand how is that so many people buy their overpriced (and frequently awful) stuff.
/ :offtopic:

One thing consistent about Starbucks, though, is the taste:  if you order a "double-shot mocha expresso" at pretty much any of them in the US, you'll get the same taste.  Or theoretically, at least.  I've only ever been there a couple of times-- our local Quick Trip has faster, cheaper and frequently better-tasting coffee ... (QT takes great pains to make it so).

One reason why SB never really found a strong footing in Tulsa.   

And now, McDonald's is going for the "gourmet coffee" thing, so there's little hope for a specialty-coffee store hereabouts.

Aggie

The only reason I grab coffee at Starbucks is that they are one of the few mass-market chains that brews it the way I do... dark roast, very strong, tastes OK black.  Most indie coffeeshops do an equal or better job, but when I was working in Flatland/Stripmall-Land one rarely could find such a place easily when on the road and in a hurry.  SB is actually no more expensive than Tim Horton's (the usual haunt of double-double* chugging, traffic-blocking false-patriotic blue-collar folk) if you just drink straight-up coffee.  McD's is a little cheaper, and inoffensive although uninspiring.

*two cream, two sugars nominally, but scaled up to match the size of the beverage.  Timmies brews a heavily-oxidized medium roast that IMHO requires this level of sweetencreaming to be palatable; it's acidic and nasty when drunk black.

My local coffee haunt is actually more expensive than Starbucks, but they brew good stuff and I consider it a 'sitting fee'.  When I go, it's either to socialize or peoplewatch/be seen, and I always brew at home if I y'know, just want a coffee.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on August 02, 2012, 10:01:44 PM
One thing consistent about Starbucks, though, is the taste:
Yup, you order an espresso and it tastes like $h!t.
:nono:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

Ayuh; I like the idea of espresso, but few places do a decent one, so I usually stick to dark roast brewed coffee.  :P
WWDDD?

Bluenose

There's this little coffee bar next door to one of my clients in the city (Melbourne) that makes a truly awesome espresso.  Not too bitter, a lovely rich brown crema, smooth as silk. I ALWAYS get one when I go to that client.  Only $3.50 too.