News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Lucy's Kitchen Notebook

Started by Lindorm, November 20, 2009, 07:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lindorm

One of my favourite blogs about food and cooking is Lucy's Kitchen Notebook, by Lucy Vanel. She is an ex-pat american (really more of a globetrotter) who now lives with her husband and their little child in Lyons. Her blog is about food and cooking in a very wide sense of the world -lots of recipes and ideas, sure, but an apple at the market can also be the starting point for some philosophical musings about life in general. Or, for that matter, some wry observations about the bizarre concoctions that pass for tex-mex cuisine in france.

The writing is, in my opinion, excellent. A very warm, human tone, tempered by a subtle humour and sometimes a bit of melancholia and thoughtfulness. This is accompanied by some absolutely beautiful photography -sensualist in the classic sense of the word. Even though all the recipes that I have tried from the blog have worked quite well, or even been excellent at the first try, the real importance of the blog to me is that it is so very inspirational. Ms. Vanel can really bring out the beauty in just a few fresh radishes and a bit of cheese -and make us realise that they are not so "just" and ordinary after all. I suppose it is something of her being able to point to some of the extraordinary things in our ordinary lives, and doing so without sounding as if she was standing on a pulpet.

Highly recommended reading!

http://kitchen-notebook.blogspot.com/
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Aggie

Thanks Lindorm, will check it out.

EDIT:  One of the first recipes I clicked on included duck fat as an ingredient.  I'm sold. ;)
WWDDD?