News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Wonderful World of Korean Food (Movie Time!)

Started by Aggie, March 27, 2009, 03:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

[youtube=425,350]ZhJ6LKbjT1E[/youtube]

Ummmm.....  *drool*   

Part of this was shot at the same place we were married (Korea House in Seoul).
WWDDD?

Aggie

[youtube=425,350]V6BNAx3mC2o[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]wySH97FsuVQ[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]IV3EKe2U1Fo[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]VkZs5OYA5NA[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]cEAwGc7C9hw[/youtube]

Andrew over-describes how weird some of these dishes taste / smell, and under-rates the flavour of the octopus (it's delicious!), but this is a good series.  I've eaten the majority of these dishes; I'll let you guess which ones...  ;)
WWDDD?

Darlica

I think it's easier to guess the ones you haven't tried.

My guess is:

The fermented stinky fish
The mudfish soup
The ox knee cartilage soup
and the fugu

As a Scandihovian I don't really understand all the fuss about fermented food... We have all kind of it too. Vegetables like carrots and cucumber is the most common ones, but cloves of garlic and cauliflower as well as small onions especially in a mix are quite common too or at least use to be.

We have surströmming, salted fermented herring, I've tried it it's not the tastiest thing I've eaten but far from the worst. If you ever decide to try it be warned though, you stink the day after... Lindorm won't let me sleep in the same room if I've been eating surströmming with my friends. :D

The Icelandic's have their fermented shark... Catch a shark and bury it in the sand on a beach for a year... I've tried that one too. I've seen TV shows akin to the "bizzar food show" where grown men run away crying or throw up when tasting or just smelling that stuff...  ::) The shark I tried wasn't that bad it mostly reminded me of stinky cheese (and I love stinky cheese).  A very generous helping of the Icelandic caraway flavoured vodka (brutal but good) might have clouded my judgement but not that much.   ;D

Edited image link
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Aggie

Correct on the mudfish and cartilage soups (although I regularly eat tendon soup in Canada, which is supposedly a similar texture). I've had the 'ammonia fish' and the puffer fish; the latter is amazing but I don't like the former much.  Only about half of Koreans actually enjoy that stuff.
WWDDD?