News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Calibre-Kindle Conversions TOCs

Started by Griffin NoName, January 06, 2013, 10:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Now he tells me !!

I did think a TOC would be nice, but actually with the search function on Kindle I probably would never use it. Really, I just thought it ought to be there.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

Most times, the TOC looks like this:

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2...

etc. with no reference to any section number.

Griffin NoName

I do find Kindle format unsatisfactory. It's not at all like a proper book with proper TOC and index and page numbers etc. It's ok for reading casual novels, but I really wouldn't want to read anything else on it. My newspaper subscription is in question at present (by me) because of all the missing pictures, and lack of adhering to newspaper formats. ie. there are good reasons why books and newspapers appear in certain formats and Kindle ebooks just ignore all this and I don't like it. I am much happier reading news on PC screen where it is closer to print, and there are hyperlinks that work. Maybe I am just old-fashioned?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

No, I agree.  But all the junk I would normally buy from a charity shop for 50p is free on the net by the bucketload.  I've also got a lot of serious novels and poetry in English and German.  There's a lot of serious history around, too.  Etc.

Griffin NoName

Yes, apart from the newspaper, the novels I download are ones where I would be hefting them to the charity shop AFTER reading. So I am saving myself clutter and tiring trips to High street. And apart from novels with the "family dynesty" on the first/last page, the format is irrlevant. Also saving oney on what may be trash.
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling DavidH

I read a lot on the American Civil War, and I was delighted to find on Gutenberg a lot of accounts written soon afterwards, which must otherwise be nearly unobtainable now.  Ditto WW1.  At the moment I'm reading a good history of Norman Britain, William I to John.  Another rich seam is the old SF short stories on Feedbooks.  All free.

Griffin NoName

Yes, I like the FREE; I also like the very cheap.
Psychic Hotline Host