News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Hellllllllp!!!!!

Started by Griffin NoName, December 18, 2012, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

windows vista business

I am missing files from /windows/system32

ipinip.sys
NwlnkFlt
NwlnkFwd

all to do with IP to IP Tunneling

I don't have this service running

the progs are all ticked for start up, no error message is given that they don't startup, which I would have expected

in HiJack this, they are not shown as running.

So..... it sort of looks like it doesn't matter that they are missing

except from googling

1) some sites say these files can be invisible due to malware

2) some sites say these files are vital or system will fall over in a number of ways which include an issue I have which is a bllue screen of death which no one has been able to resolve for me and startup/shutdown being incredibly slow. (while the malware perhaps eats data has been suggested).

so, I sort of feel I need to get to the bottom of this.

don't want to risk unticking the start up if they are vital.

One obvious thing to do would be to restore the files, but this is version specific, nowhere on line (that I trust) has them, and they are not on my "restore" CD and I don't have original vista CDs as Sony did not supply them.

System Restore not possible as no idea when the files went missing/became invisible.

Can anyone throw some further ideas at me?   Help!  Like safe things to try? Like which facts are real, accurate.?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bruder Cuzzen

I'd help if I could but I am 'duh'.

Bluenose

Hi Griff, have you tried to use System Restore to return your system to an earlier state (ie before the problem)?

I have found this can often fix problems caused by malware.  Once done, if successful, run a full system scan with your security software.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

There are places here or there, which permit downloading an IMG file, which is a large chunk of data, all of one piece, that a DVD-ROM burning program can use to create an exact DVD image.  If you download it, and right-click & mark it as "READ ONLY" it won't get infected by malware.  Or better, see if you can burn it in SAFE MODE (sometimes you can, sometimes you can't--depends on your DVD burning hardware).

Anyway, you can get a legal copy of the Vista install DVD this way-- Microsoft does not limit these-- the copyright is protected by the security key that's on a sticker on your PC, the CD is simply a generic one. 

If that's not an option, try going to your PC maker's website, and for a price (usually not that much) you can order a replacement DVD/CD for your particular laptop (I'm assuming it's a laptop, that's what I remember you having). 

As for those particular files not being on your CD/DVD (if you have one), they are-- they are just highly compressed into some sort of archive file.  The old files were called (dot)CAB files, I have no idea what they are called for Vista, sorry.  But there are DOS/Command-line tools that let you extract specific files, if you know which archive they are in-- and you can run COMMAND from Safe Mode, which would let you write over these, directly from the secure files on your CD/DVD disc.   It's a pain, though-- you need to know the exact path where they are, and the exact path where they need to be copied--no drag & drop simplicity. 

Worse case?  Try un-ticking the files & rebooting-- if it won't reboot?  You can go into SAFE MODE, and re-tick them.  Really, you can- I've done exactly that myself (although it was XP, not Vista).  Moreover, if Windoze fails on startup due to un-ticking a file?  It's usually pretty good at re-ticking a needed file-- especially if you leave your Vista CD/DVD in the drive tray.... sometimes, it'll even go out and extract the proper file(s) from that. 

Good luck!  Post here again with an update, let us know (so we won't worry) :)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Perhaps this is a sign to move to Windows 7? I assure you'll be happier.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

BoB = sorry this is all a bit beyond me. I'm not good at present. I don't understand the stuff abot IMG.

I don't have a CD/DVD that came with the laptop. All I have is a Vista SP1 2xCDs that I created for restore, and is five yrs old, and it does not have the required files on it. And wev'e been SP2 for years, so the CDs are useless - I forgot to make new ones when SP2 came in.

I have done a Restore back to before I did a WiFi driver update, which has cured some addiitonal issues (nothing in drop down boxes, drop down boxes now contain right stuff). But.........  files still missing.

I downloaded Malwarebytes - ran it - no problems found.

I am so tired. I can't cope. I get frantic that I won't be able to order my groceries.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Actually, you can still use the pre-SP2 cd's, you'll simply need to re-install SP2 a 2nd time, after restoring from them.  However, I wouldn't worry too much, if Malwere couldn't locate a problem.  You likely don't have one.

But, for further piece of mind, you can run one of the many on-line scanners, to get a 2nd opinion.  Avast has one, I think.   Just go with one that does not require you to pay, if it finds a problem-- those >>always<< find a problem, even if they have to create it themselves, just so you'll have to pay... meh.

Griffin NoName

I've speeded things up a bit (startup) by unticking all the entries in autoruns which have image path file not found........... including ipinip as mentioned in first post above (this does Ip to IP tunneling and I reckon I don't need it so the fact that the files to run it don't exist may be neither here nor there).

As for running Avast or similar, I can't be bothered to run anything that requires Norton uninstalled as I can't be bothered to re-install it.

Yes, I know I can use SP1 discs to restore, but no way, far too long ago, think of all the changes since then! Anyway the missing files are not on it.

I do have a nice utility running which is called FineRecovery. It holds deleted files right back to 2005 !!!  Missing files named above not there. But I did find one other missing system file there !!!

I cannot believe how much time I have spent on this nonesense - it's rubbish.
Psychic Hotline Host

Then, I would put it aside for now-- it sounds like your system is working, sans the "missing" files.  If they were not there back to 2005?  They are like warts-- you didn't need them anyhow.  :)

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on December 19, 2012, 07:22:11 PM
They are like warts-- you didn't need them anyhow.  :)

:giggle:

Yes, missing in 2005 looks like they are not too important.

The real problem is one which I don't know if I have solved which is BSOD BCCODE 44 MULTIPLE_IRQ_REEQUESTS which is a third party program behaving badly. But I cannot for the life of me discover which.........it'll be a driver of some kind but having no luck isolating it. As with most things one cannot solve, it's sporadic. If I ever have a billion hours free I'll do an elimination exercise............

Plus I am getting slow startup/shutdown errors, but again sort of random, different processes each time.

Lalalalalala! Computers R Crap.
Psychic Hotline Host

Indeed they are.

On the third hand?  They are kinda amazing too-- much like that fabled singing pig:  the pig is off-key, slurs the words badly, and has no sense of timing. 

But.

Hey... that's a frakkin' pig. and it's frakkin' singing... kinda amazing, really... :)