News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Linux, anyone?

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, January 18, 2010, 08:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

I have always regarded any flavour of Unix to allow more fiddling than Windows but that says nothing about easy or not.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

No, I expect Linux which is touted as superior in every way to windoze, to behave at least as well as windoze does.   As a bare minimum.

And I could even forgive the no-3-screens issue-- if it would work with just one. It doesn't.   I cannot boot to a readable screen, unless I jump through several "recovery mode" hoops each and every time.

And it won't print to my printer, no matter what I try. 

Windoze does all of these things right out of the box, without me doing a darn thing.   It just works.   Linux, just does not: without a PhD expert to tweak it first.

That's a failure of epic proportions, right there:  Two of the most basic functions, right out of the box, do not work.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Quote from: Griffin NoName on December 25, 2012, 10:45:53 PM
I have always regarded any flavour of Unix to allow more fiddling than Windows but that says nothing about easy or not.

That could very well be true-- I'm pretty ignorant with regards to Unix myself.  I know DOS backwards & forwards (even still), and I know Windoze pretty well (but not as well as I used to-- new versions and all that).

Update to the Linux Saga.

I managed to put an update onto a USB drive, and using that, install a newer version of Unbuntu on my Linux drive.  At the same time, I figured out how to install Catalyst drivers for my screens, and more to the point, got them to work-- well, 2 of the 3 work as 2 separate spaces.  The 3rd one is a duplicate of one of the others.  I can move the duplicate about, but cannot get 3 unique spaces. Oh well--2 is twice as nice as 1. 

And it also boots into a readable form each and every time-- yaays!