News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Politics Thread

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, September 25, 2006, 04:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teripie

Ya gotta remember, it's satire. Very subtle, but still satire. I thought it was the "real deal" at first. I like the trademarked terms it quotes and I like it the motto,  "No Pain, No Gain."

Notice how the names have not been changed to not protect the inncent congressmen.

Sibling Chatty

Quote from: Teripie on October 07, 2006, 03:22:06 PM
How does someone end up with a name as long as Carole Keeton McClelland Something Rylander Strayhorn? Is it the product of many generations of women who chose to tack their maiden names onto their husband's names?

She was the daughter of the VERY respected Dean of the UT Law School.

So, when she first ran for office, she kept the Keeton, her maiden name. But she was married, and Mommy to four lovely (???) sons (OK, one was lovely, but he gave that up, supposedly, when he got married...) so she only used Keeton and her married name, McClelland. (As is Mommy of Scott McClelland, formerly Preznit W's Press Secretary...also former 'lovely' son.) Then she married someone else, who has been forgotten to time and posterity, because she never ran for office using his name. (Mr. McClelland was long gone by then...)

NEXT time there was an opening for another office she wanted, she'd had her eye on a bigger family fortune to attach herself to, and the Rlyander's Food Mart chain in Austin had just been sold...Et Voila!! Mrs. Rylander (Carol Keeton Rylander, thank you very much) ran for the NEXT stepping stone.

Now, besides Names and Husbands, Carol has a problem finishing jobs. For a while there, she'd stay in a job long enough to get the leverage to get elected to the next one, and never finish out a term. Nobody knows WHEN Mr. Rylander got his freedom, but the Rylanders as a group weren't that thrilled with the addition of a political family (ok, Carol and the Boys, who are all political consultants) to their more sedate grouping of genteel Texas Bluebloods, who vote conservative fiscal, liberal social and not by party label...and saw the Party Hopping (she started as a Dem, then became a Repub when needed to keep getting elected)Prima Donna as unneeded baggage.

Strayhorn is the latest Mr. We're hoping it's the last one. She's only allowed one more by state law...

But, her ads so far have focused on the Sons and Grands (all girls), so all we can say for sure about CKM?RS is that, at one point, her plumbing worked. ::) ::) ::)

I been to 11 goat ropin's, 14 county fairs, 382 baptizin's, and more butt-whuppin's than the law allows, and i'll be dipped if I EVER seen anything as bizarre as Texas politics on an average day.
This sig area under construction.

Teripie

For some reason our local PBS fails to present many of the standard PBS programs at a decent hour. Generally this means Moyer's programming pops up at 2 a.m. while prime time is clogged with Fawlty Towers reruns or the like. Last night just before I turned off my bedside lamp, preparing to drift off to dreamland, I made the mistake of channel scanning and discovered Moyer's latest effort, the 2 hour show on the Abramoff scandal. After just a couple minutes of viewing I was "hooked' and watched until the bitter end at 2 a.m., typical local PBS.

Boy, is that program upsetting! At 3a.m. I was still tossing and turning, and I know it was well after 3 that I finally got to sleep. The gist of the show is that the US government has been bought and sold and it will most likely be several decades until it gets back on track.

Very depressing..........................

Sibling Chatty

It will take every bit of effort of every citizen to ever get it back on track. The war profiteering by individuals and corporations is going to eat away at every dime earned by every child born in the US for the next 30+ years, not to mention the ones already here.

"They" have theirs, let the peasants eat cake...

A rising tide doesn't lift all boats. It drowns all those that can't afford more line.

Sad that humanity has to learn that lesson over and over again.
This sig area under construction.

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

*** WARNING: CANADIAN POLITICS ***

From yesterday's "Clean" (ahem) Air policy announcement, it seems the Conservatives have decided to start bailing out the sinking ship that is their environmental policy... in a few years or decades, and only a little.

But it's okay, apparently, because they say that the Liberals didn't do a lot of bailing while they were in office.

Bah.

I'm sick of this government.  I only wish that environmental legislation readings were considered confidence motions, so when this gets voted down, they'd be out on their ear.