News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Pelosi taps Reyes to head Intelligence commette

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, December 02, 2006, 06:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

This is an interesting article from CNN

Pelosi taps Reyes to head Intelligence commette

QuoteWASHINGTON (AP) -- House Speaker-to-be Nancy Pelosi has chosen a Border Patrol agent-turned-congressman to lead the House intelligence committee, ending weeks of Democratic debate about who will oversee the nation's spy agencies.

Rep. Silvestre Reyes, D-Texas, takes over the key post next year, as his party tries to intensify oversight of the intelligence community. Critics say Republicans failed to do that, leading to faulty prewar intelligence on Iraq and other stumbles.

"When tough questions are required -- whether they relate to intelligence shortcomings before the 9/11 attacks or the war in Iraq, or to the quality of intelligence on Iran or North Korea -- he does not hesitate to ask them," Pelosi, D-California, said in a statement announcing her choice of Reyes.

The selection of Reyes resolves one of the few committee chairmanships that was still in question after Democrats won control of the House of Representatives last month. It set up an early challenge for Pelosi, who had sole discretion on the selection.

Chatty, you follow Texas politics, what do you think of this Reyes chap?
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Chatty

Reyes is a decorated VietNam vet and a former Border Patrol agent. BP guys do a lot of undercover and intel-type work, so he knows the demands and the territory. He's pretty bright, very knowledgeable, and had the backing of the Texas delegation (even among the Repubs, because he's your basic straight shooter) and especially the backing of Chet Edwards (one of the most respected people in politics, because he's not there for himself, he's there for the constituency). Chet says he's good, i'll buy it.

He's done some pretty decent work in Congress, and has the snap to know what's going on, and what's being done wrong. He's pretty centrist, he's not easily fooled, and he's one of those people that will just stare you down if you lie to him. (He looks like a chubby little Grandpa, but he's still capable of striking fear into most of the "problem people" in the El Paso border area.) He also Never Forgets Anything. E.V.E.R. (At the recent State Dem Convention, he greeted a fairly new citizen that he'd caught and deported twice back in the 80's--the guy had finally come in legally and applied legally, and Reyes recognized him from 20+ years ago.)

The military likes him, and as entertwined as the military and the intelligence people are, that'll be a plus as well.
This sig area under construction.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Thank you.  That is exactly the sort of analysis I was looking for. :)

Based on this, I think my buddy was right in that this guy will be good for the US in the coming months/years.

And, I think we could USE some "towards center", don't you? ::)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)