News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Pirates Win Seat in European Parliament

Started by Griffin NoName, June 08, 2009, 08:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

I wasn't going to mention it, but both the parties I voted for beat Labour  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  (No, contrary to popular belief, the BNP wasn't one of them).
The angels have the phone box

Darlica

Quote from: Griffin NoName on June 08, 2009, 08:40:24 PM

The Swedish Pirate Party now has a Seat in the European Parliament.

Darlica must have been working hard ?

:ROFL:
Actually no, they label them self ultra capitalists and well... I don't. In fact I rather pick up  :goatflag: 's fallen flag. 

I despise the way authorities EU and the American government alike wanting to control the internet, saving user data, reading personal e-mails and all that. But voting for a party which main quest is to abolish the existence of copyright laws... Nah.

It has been quite an ado about this in Swedish media, personally I wonder what they will have to say about all the other issues like agriculture and foreign relations... ::)
But never the less, I'm happy they snatched that seat from SD (Sverige Demokraterna) our Dark Blue with big brown stains, ultra conservative, xenophobic, populistic party that badly wanted to win seat to make them seem more legitimate as a preparation for our national election next year.
It seems like their tactic to campaign for almost three years wasn't successful... :smirk_orange: 

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Swatopluk

Pirates did not win a seat over here but were among the most successful splinter parties (and had their highest resukt in Berlin).
I was conservative and voted Green  ;)
I wonder what role it played that the main winners were the parties in the top spots (Chrsitian Democrats and Green) on the ballot.
It was the longest ballot I can remember (about a yard long with 31 parties).
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The way it has been portrayed in the tech websites I read is that is a backlash against the European equivalents of the RIAA, MPAA and their heavy handed tactics (raiding servers, arresting torrent tracker administrators, suing people like there is no tomorrow, etc). The analysis is that the significant (for a supposedly 'fringe' party) success will force mainstream politicians to take note.

If that is the case it is indeed a great victory.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.