News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Cost of Living - UK

Started by Griffin NoName, July 02, 2008, 01:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beagle

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on July 10, 2008, 12:10:26 AM
Goatie,
[...]
if Kennedy had been all you seem to think, there would have never BEEN a you, most likely.

So Kennedy is to blame for Goat. That certainly puts his role in a different perspective. Reminds one of that early Dr Who where the Doctor has to decide whether it's ethical to destroy the Dalek race, knowing what they will become.

Quote from: goat starer on July 09, 2008, 10:23:50 PM
and smart enough for someone who thinks margaret thatcher was a good thing is probably at most somwhere around the 'Very Hungry Caterpillar' level.    :mrgreen:

I'd not heard of that one. With some help from a grown-up I just read it online and it appears to be an allegory of the transformative role of capitalism in a consumption led society.

The angels have the phone box

goat starer

Quote from: beagle on July 10, 2008, 07:32:19 AM
I'd not heard of that one. With some help from a grown-up I just read it online and it appears to be an allegory of the transformative role of capitalism in a consumption led society.

:ROFL: quality!

The Giant Jam Sandwich however is a story about how collective action by the peasants can tackle the rampant consumerism of a waspish capitalist invasion.
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

beagle

Didn't realize kids were now brought up on absurd stories of dysfunctional animals. In my days children were taught to read with "Janet and John" books.  Proper stories of well-behaved middle-class children whose fathers smoked pipes, had proper middle class jobs, and never spoke, and whose mothers made cakes and supervised the gardeners.

No wonder there's no-one left to run the empire and the government consists entirely of monosyllabic iPod wearing hoodies.

goat starer

Quote from: beagle on July 10, 2008, 08:58:10 PM
Didn't realize kids were now brought up on absurd stories of dysfunctional animals. In my days children were taught to read with "Janet and John" books.  Proper stories of well-behaved middle-class children whose fathers smoked pipes, had proper middle class jobs, and never spoke, and whose mothers made cakes and supervised the gardeners.

No wonder there's no-one left to run the empire and the government consists entirely of monosyllabic iPod wearing hoodies.

in your day?  :ROFL: you can't be more than 20 odd or you would remember how awful thatcher was.

unless you are very old and have selective alzheimers like several of her friends.
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

beagle

Quote from: goat starer on July 10, 2008, 11:45:29 PM
in your day?  :ROFL: you can't be more than 20 odd or you would remember how awful thatcher was.

unless you are very old and have selective alzheimers like several of her friends.

47.   I was 19 when she was elected and out of work/doing low skilled jobs for a year after graduation in the recession of the early 80s.  I do remember the bad times at the start of the Thatcher years, but I also remember the worse times under her predecessors (of both parties), the three day week, the continual strikes,  mini-budgets and IMF funding crises, power cuts, and above all the pervading sense of irrevocable decline.

As far as I'm concerned only Churchill eclipsed her in recent centuries, and I suspect she would have put up a similar show in similar circumstances.

Griffin NoName

All this harping back.... we can only deal with the present.

And the present is a youth who got the vote to be on the Question Time panel for the schools edition last Thursday eveining being a member of UKIP.

19 year olds are so impressionable, it can last a lifetime!

We should be worried.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Ah well, I know the europhiles like to portray us all as ageing little-Englanders, but in our EU antipathy we've been joined by some young little-French, little-Dutch, little-Irish and little-Scandinavians, all of whom prefer relevant local government to centralized undemocratic bureaucracy.

If the Poles and Czechs continue to back the Irish populace in the view that actually the rules do apply to the big countries too then there's hope yet for all the little people.

Griffin NoName

To be sure, Beagle, we know how important the little people are. Just stay where you are and we'll send help. ;D
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand