News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Shoutbox Removed

Started by ivor, January 21, 2007, 01:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivor

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on January 22, 2007, 08:15:22 AM
Actually, I just checked, and somehow or other, I'm on IE7, now. I don't remember when it switched over-- likely that d!mn windoze update thingy.  Is it any WONDER why I'm on manual control???? :P

Micro$oft made IE7 a critical update so if you were on auto update you got it.  I thought that was a terrible way to force IE7 upon me.  Luckily I saw it and tried to cancel it before it installed.  I actually had to dig around at Micro$oft and find a patch to stop the update. 

I don't want IE7 because it breaks so many browser hacks that make IE6 work correctly.  I heard that this site looks okay on IE7.  If it does it is quite accidental.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on January 22, 2007, 08:25:44 AM
Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on January 22, 2007, 08:15:22 AM
Actually, I just checked, and somehow or other, I'm on IE7, now. I don't remember when it switched over-- likely that d!mn windoze update thingy.  Is it any WONDER why I'm on manual control???? :P

Micro$oft made IE7 a critical update so if you were on auto update you got it.  I thought that was a terrible way to force IE7 upon me.  Luckily I saw it and tried to cancel it before it installed.  I actually had to dig around at Micro$oft and find a patch to stop the update. 

I don't want IE7 because it breaks so many browser hacks that make IE6 work correctly.  I heard that this site looks okay on IE7.  If it does it is quite accidental.

Since I'm stuck with IE7, anytime you need a test for something or other, PM me, and I'll be happy to oblige.

I'd even let it remember my login and passcode for here. :)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

HAH !  So behind the times here, critical update has not yet imposed IE7 on Britain - or at least not on my w2k platform.

Maybe we need an Aaaaaaaaaargh! Box not a Shout Box?

I've been using unwrapped - now you've solved the problem maybe I'll go back to wrapped - except.... it's scary having the arcade around as it seems to have sent some Pirates even madder than they were and I expect it's catching.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName The Watson of Sherlock on January 26, 2007, 01:49:18 AM
HAH !  So behind the times here, critical update has not yet imposed IE7 on Britain - or at least not on my w2k platform.

I've been using unwrapped - now you've solved the problem maybe I'll go back to wrapped - except.... it's scary having the arcade around as it seems to have sent some Pirates even madder than they were and I expect it's catching.

Actually, you will NEVER have IE7 imposed on your W2K platform--even if you WANTED to.

IE7 won't run under W2K, needs XP or Vista at least, to install.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

ivor

Quote from: Griffin NoName The Watson of Sherlock on January 26, 2007, 01:49:18 AM

I haven't actually fixed the problem.  It seems to be the worst with IE6 despite what the poll says.  I can always reproduce the problem with IE6, only occasionally with FireFox.  Supposedly however the problem is with sessions getting killed because there is too much activity on the site according to dreamhost.

DreamHost gives you tons of bandwidth and diskspace.  The don't however; give you enough memory and cpu time to use it.

I highly recommend FireFox Griffin.  It's a much better browser. 

FireFox seems to be able to recover from the session getting deleted.  I don't know how or why.  I am still looking at the problem.

I am toying with the idea of making a content management system that caches to static html with a little PHP in it for the things that can't be cached.  I intend to use FCGI for this.  I have a little test site to play with.  FCGI is way faster.

Now that I understand a little more about FCGI I think I will try using it here.  The site may explode today.  ;D

ivor

FCGI is on!  I fully expect DreamHost to shut it down today.  I'll be watching it.  Let me know if you see anything wrong.  Email me at admin@toadfishmonastery.com.

ivor

Wow!  I think the site is a hundred times faster than it was. 

Opsa

Hasn't crashed yet, either! Good show, MB!

ivor

Thanks Opsa!

The session verification bug is still there.  >:(  I am beginning to think it is not performance related as DreamHost says it is.

Vita Curator

Okay MB, the computer illiterate goof-ball needs to be tutored.  What the heck does wrapped and unwrapped even mean???   
Unity is Strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything.

The Meromorph

Quote from: Vita Curator on January 27, 2007, 02:39:18 AM
Okay MB, the computer illiterate goof-ball needs to be tutored.  What the heck does wrapped and unwrapped even mean???   
Not what I thought anyway!  ::)
The first time he said he was posting unwrapped I thought he was 'skinny-surfing' :o

I reacted badly...  :-[
Dances with Motorcycles.

Vita Curator

Quote from: The Meromorph (Quasimodo) on January 27, 2007, 03:24:55 AM
The first time he said he was posting unwrapped I thought he was 'skinny-surfing' :o

Hee hee, me too Mero.  I picture unwrapped as sitting in front of your terminal "sans" robe and wrapped as sitting there staying warm as the low went down to 8 degrees F last night, but then I'm a true goof-ball and you are the brilliant poet!
Unity is Strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything.

ivor

Quote from: Vita Curator on January 27, 2007, 04:13:42 AM
Quote from: The Meromorph (Quasimodo) on January 27, 2007, 03:24:55 AM

Hee hee, me too Mero.  I picture unwrapped as sitting in front of your terminal "sans" robe and wrapped as sitting there staying warm as the low went down to 8 degrees F last night, but then I'm a true goof-ball and you are the brilliant poet!

Let me try some 'splaining.  I'm not very good at it so bear with me. 

I am using a content management system for the site called Joomla.  When you browse the home page you are seeing a Joomla page. The forum software is Simple Machines Forum.

If you are wondering why I am using a content management system, it's purely a matter of convenience.  I don't have time to build sites from the ground up. I wish I did sometime.

Joomla is a flexible and powerful content management system.  Joomla allows for components to be created and used to extend Joomla.  The Museum is a Joomla component called zOOm Gallery

zOOm Gallery is tightly integrated with Joomla because it is a Joomla component.  Simple Machines Forum (SMF) is not a Joomla component and therefore requires a "bridge" to integrate them together.

Since SMF is not a Joomla component, SMF can be viewed outside of Joomla from this URL. Viewing SMF from a link like this is what I mean when I say "unwrapped."  When you view from this URL, SMF is "wrapped" in Joomla.

The session verification problem mostly happens when "wrapped" in Joomla.  The problem has something to do with the bridge.  Everyone I talk to says some other thing is at fault.  That's why I am having so much trouble getting things fixed.

There are a couple of other sites that I run that are setup very much like this one and don't seem to have this problem.  When I compare the sites I don't see much difference.  DreamHost says I am having problems because of traffic.  I would like to test this theory at Sedona View if anyone is interested. 

If you would like to help out we could all get together at some specific time and use the discussion forum there and see if we can reproduce the problem there.  I have never been able to.  If we cant reproduce the problem then it must be some difference in host.   If we can reproduce the problem then I can start digging much deeper into the code. 

There are a couple ways to reproduce the errors.  One way is to start a new post and let it sit for a while.  How long?  I am not sure.  Sometimes it's five minutes.  Sometimes I can go for thirty minutes and it still works.  The other way is to log in and let your browser sit for a long period of time, like more than thirty minutes or an hour or something, then hit the log out button.  If you let it sit long enough you get the session verification failed error.  I don't think I am getting the second problem in FireFox.

If there's anything else you want to know just ask!

Thanks,
MB

Griffin NoName

Re wrapping, also you can tell if it's wrapped or unwrapped cos it will look different. If you click the "forum" link on the Monastery Home Page (wrapped) the forum will appear similar in visual style to the Home Page. If you type the forum http address into your address bar and go directly (unwrapped) to it without using the Monastery Home Page then it looks a lot different - not like the Monastery style.

MB, I am going to let my browser sit here logged in unwrapped for a couple of hours and see if I get the session verfication issue - I haven't had it since my time delay (unwrapped) disappeared so there may be a clue in that.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

ivor

I have turned the shoutbox back on for the front page.  ;D