News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Shoutbox Removed

Started by ivor, January 21, 2007, 01:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivor

Hi Everybody,

I have to remove the Shoutbox temporarily, maybe permanently.  Unfortunately the Shoutbox consumes a lot of resources and ultimately slows the site down.  I am going to see if I can find or make a Shoutbox that supports caching but it may be a bit.

Thanks,
MB

Vita Curator

Ah shoot, MB, I liked the Shoutbox.   :'(

Plus, my font size is like HUGE this morning, is it supposed to be like that?
Unity is Strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything.

ivor

I know.  I like it too.  It'll be back some time.  I have to whittle the site down so the site fits in the bounds of the hosting service CPU and Memory limitations. 

I noticed that too. You are using IE6 aren't you.  I am looking at that right now.

Vita Curator

Yes I am, I am not very computer literate  :D , did I do something wrong?  Can I change it back to the way it was?  I feel like an 80 year old woman who has to buy those extra large font books because I can't see!   :D

ivor

You didn't do anything.  There's something in the shoutbox style sheet that is fixing the fonts in IE6.  I just have to figure out what it is so I can remove the shoutbox style sheet.

If you refresh your browser it should be okay now.  The font size may fluctuate a bit while I fix it.

Vita Curator

ivor

You're welcome Vita and thank you!  It makes me feel good to do something that people appreciate.

The font issue for IE6 should be gone now.  You may need to refresh your browser.

Thanks,
MB

Vita Curator

Yeah!!  It is back to normal, I don't feel like I'm 80 anymore!!

You are the best!!!

I hope you know that we do all appreciate all of the work that you put into this website.  We should have MB Appreciation Day, like once a month. :)

ivor

LOL! Thank you!

If you look at the very, very bottom of the page there's a load time.  Just taking the shout box out dropped the load time from like .33 seconds to like .05 seconds.

Vita Curator

I know that what you are doing is for the betterment of the site, I'll just miss ye old shoutbox tis all!   ;D

The Meromorph

I virtually always go unwrapped, so I don't even notice it's gone...  :)
And, Yes MB rules! :toast:
Dances with Motorcycles.

ivor

Thanks Mero!

If anyone would like, please try the monstery wrapped so I will know if it's fixed or not as I have trouble reproducing the errors.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on January 21, 2007, 04:17:19 PM
Thanks Mero!

If anyone would like, please try the monstery wrapped so I will know if it's fixed or not as I have trouble reproducing the errors.

Since I fixed my internet hook, I haven't seen a single issue--and I almost always go "wrapped".  I like the look-and-feel of the wrapper better. :)

I still use FireFox exclusively.  Windoze built-in Firewall.  Windoze Defender. SP2, etc.

No issues at all-- and I also would like to extend my thanks for all the thankless work you do.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

ivor

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on January 22, 2007, 06:54:21 AM
Since I fixed my internet hook, I haven't seen a single issue--and I almost always go "wrapped".  I like the look-and-feel of the wrapper better. :)

I still use FireFox exclusively.  Windoze built-in Firewall.  Windoze Defender. SP2, etc.

No issues at all-- and I also would like to extend my thanks for all the thankless work you do.
Thanks Bob!

FireFox is such a good browser.  I have to use IE6 to make sure everything is working because it misbehaves so often.  If nobody used IE6 I wouldn't have much to do.  ;D

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on January 22, 2007, 07:51:27 AM
FireFox is such a good browser.  I have to use IE6 to make sure everything is working because it misbehaves so often.  If nobody used IE6 I wouldn't have much to do.  ;D

So do I, whenever I'm getting my semi-weekly updates to windoze. (I'm on a manual update cycle, currently.  It's a control-thing ::) )

Actually, I just checked, and somehow or other, I'm on IE7, now. I don't remember when it switched over-- likely that d!mn windoze update thingy.  Is it any WONDER why I'm on manual control???? :P

-----------------

ANYONE wanting to SWITCH AWAY from the 'evil' micro$oft IE6/IE7, let me know and I can do you a "step-by-step" if you like.

It's painless, easy and won't cost you a cent (US$ or otherwise).

Moreover, you get to keep IEx if you like.  ::) ;D
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)