News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Thoughts on a HOT 6th anniversary

Started by Opsa, January 02, 2012, 07:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

Are we really six years old? I can't tell whether that seems like too short or too long a time to be true.

A lot has happened to us during these six years. We've met a lot of interesting people and heard interesting opinions -of which we have tried to be tolerant with various levels of success. The most important thing though, is that we tried. It's that special effort that makes a person ready for the Honorable Order of Toadfish. We are not perfect, but we try hard together, for better or worse.

We became our own order on January 6th six years ago. It was our Sibling Chatty, whom we still think of and miss, that pointed out that January 6th is also known as Epiphany in some Christian variations. Here is the definition of epiphany according to Dictionary.com:

"e·piph·a·ny
   /ɪˈpɪfəni/ Show Spelled[ih-pif-uh-nee] Show IPA
noun, plural -nies.
1. ( initial capital letter ) a Christian festival, observed on January 6, commemorating the manifestation of Christ to the gentiles in the persons of the Magi; Twelfth-day.

2. an appearance or manifestation, especially of a deity.

3. a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience.

4. a literary work or section of a work presenting, usually symbolically, such a moment of revelation and insight. "

I like the reference to the Magi in the first definition- the wise men! We certainly strive for wisdom, here. I also like the "homely" intuition in definition #3. Enlightenment through humbleness is a goal of ours. It is a slippery goal, we've found, and needs constant attention. I guess most goals are like that, though. They are not to be taken for granted.

This place is a safe harbor for us. Here we am comforted and can freely give comfort back. Here we can find out what other people are thinking and can ask for clarification knowing that no-one will be offended that we couldn't read their mind the first time. My siblings are good at explaining their feelings because they are thoughtful enough to know their own minds. We can always count on that. When we're sad or upset we get encouragement here. When we're happy we can celebrate here. Here is anthropology, astronomy, news rants, and goofy wit.

I cherish my Toadfish Siblings and wish you all a happy 6th whether you just got here or have been here all along. Big hugs!

Always your Sibling,
Opsa