News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Monastery Performance Tweaks

Started by ivor, December 13, 2010, 07:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivor

Hi All,

Sorry for the impromptu announcement.  No worries!  If you are having trouble with the forum log out.  Check the Joomla side and see if you're logged in there and log out if you are.  Log back into the forum and you should be good to go.

On a side note, I'm not quite sure the bridge is working so just to be sure log in on the forum side.  Simple Machines ended support for the bridge long ago and I read something about them encrypting the password so no Joomla bridge would work.  It won't be around too much longer anyway.

If you have any trouble post here...

Thanks,
MB

Opsa

No, thank YOU, Rockfish!

Everything's looks good from here.

Griffin NoName

Logged in ok as far as I can see - unwrapped. Naughty SMF - bit like shooting themselves in the foot though.

Progress is so annoying :mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

ivor

Might just be me having problems because I'm changing my passwords everywhere...  Seems to work now that Firefox woke up and decided to ask me if I want to save it.  The spam as calmed almost everywhere that I've switched.  Looks good! *knocks on wood*

Oh!  I did a full off-line backup of the database, a full offline ftp backup.  Unpatched the brigde, installed the latest greatest 1.1 SMF, repatched the bridged and installed reCaptcha... failed...  Are you human... failed...  something else but I need an API key.  Ugh!  I'm dog tired.  Pretty much caught up at work...  I need a vacation.   Now I got to wait for the UPS guy... who isn't here yet with the parts for the repair guy that's gonna be here between 12 and 2. 

Oh!  We went from a D- on the speed test to a B-. Has anybody notice that it's a little faster?  I still need to put in a cache module since VPS seems to support one that SMF and Joomla can both use.

What's the number to 911?  I need a wambulance! :mrgreen:

Griffin NoName

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on December 13, 2010, 06:37:42 PM
Oh!  We went from a D- on the speed test to a B-. Has anybody notice that it's a little faster?  

Impressive.  

Have to admit haven't noticed any difference but that will be because of the fact that individual broadband speed is limited by the local connections - I reckon I lose half of what I theroetically pay for on our landlines. At least I can blame them and not the TFM. and it'll be a good benchmark against sites where the genuine speed problem is the site itself. There's one I use, a chemist, which has me cursing at it and it is definitely them; they are as slow as a dial-up.

Well done. Take a break. Do something relaxing.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

What Griffin said.

I haven't got an wambulance. Would a hug help?  :hug:

ivor

Thanks!  I've been up all this time.  First... well not first but after I left here, I fought with Dell.  The guy that came out to replace on of my hard drives on my RAID MIRROR started installing Vista over the top of it!!!  He had no clue what raid was.  Never crossed his mind why there would be two hard drives in one laptop...  I never would have thought THAT would happen.  Long story short, I know exactly why premium support is in India now. :mrgreen:

Now I'm up fixing a stupid report.... :(  Rather be battling evil on tha interwebs...

Griffin NoName

I had same problem with a Dell guy sent out to replace a fan on my old laptop. Totally clueless. He was on the phone all the time to support, being told what to do step by step, and still managed to make a mess of it and break my keyboard as well. It was painful to watch/hear. I should have just got them to send me the part.

Psychic Hotline Host

ivor

I'm changing my own hard drive next time. Before the Dell guy gets here.  LOL!  Jimminey Christmas!  He changed the LCD, Fans and keyboard.  At least that was all done right.  So I basically got a new laptop out of it.  It runs much cooler now too.  I got 4gb more ram to put in it and Windows 7.  Haven't done any of that yet.

Edit:

Project Honey Pot and Stop Spammer have been installed.  I'm gonna get rid of reCapthca, at least temporarily since it only seems to keep the humans out.

Oh!  The YouTube thingamajigger should be fixed now.

Lindorm

Those spam-stopper things you have included are actually blocking me from accessing the site when I am at a work computer. I thougt we only spread goods wagons across the land, not tinned meat products?  ;)
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

ivor

Hi Lindorm,

LOL!  Sorry!  Find out what your IP Address is at work by going to What's My IPAddress and PM it to me or post it here and I'll check and see why your IP Address is blocked.  If it's not blocked for a good reason I'll PM you a link to get around the block and see if I can resolve it with the blocking authority.  Please don't share it though as it defeats the purpose of the software.

Thanks,
MB

Swatopluk

I'll find out whther the same applies to my work PC when my vaction ends on January 10th.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

ivor

What am I thinking?  I know what your IP Addresses are!  Doh!  You're both clean.

Lindorm,

What are you seeing at work when you try and hit the monastery site?

Edit:

Oh! I don't see you work IP Address.  Send me that if you would please?

Darlica

Lindorm would have a wide array of IP addresses I suppose as he travels in work and have computer access in several different locations all over Sweden...

If L points out one or more old post made from his workplace can you see a pattern in the address numbers and check and clear that range of IP addresses?

(For private use one usually doesn't have one specific IP address here unless you run a server, you get one of your internet providers many IP numbers allotted as you access the internet.
If the company L works for owns it own IP addresses or uses allotted ones is hard to tell from our POV)

Good work on the spammer hunt and tuning, the site runs considerably smoother for me now. :)
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Griffin NoName

YAY! If we got Youtube back.

We don't have fixed IP addis here either. But they are within ranges. Not that I have a problem, just being informative.
Psychic Hotline Host