News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Halloween and Samhain greetings

Started by Opsa, October 29, 2010, 05:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

Tip of the hat to you as the northern hemisphere of the planet tips away from the sun.

We are having our usual lentil soup drop-in dinner, followed by trick-or-treating. I am going to dress as Andy Warhol this year, as he's always been my favorite art oddball, plus, the paper ran a life-sized photo of his face recently to advertise a show about the last decade of his life, so I have a free mask!

I met Andy Warhol once, at a book signing, maybe a year or so before he died. It was at a gay bookstore, and I stood in line with a mass of very excited young gentlemen, with whom I squealed every time the great Andy moved, which wasn't often. He was totally silent, and didn't say a word, but looked surprised when I handed him my punk rock goth comic book to sign, instead of his book. (What? I was a punk rock comic artist, I couldn't afford his book!)

In the spirit of Samhain, I would like to remember Sibling Chatty, a grand, feisty, spirited Toadfish who frequented here before her death about a year and a half ago. We still love you, Chatty!

I am also remembering another friend who just died this week. His name was Genaro and he came to the U.S. from Chile in the late 1970's. He stayed at my Mom's house as he drove a cab and went to school. He could cook like nobody's business. After a while with our family, he let on that his grandfather had once been the president of Chile and that he fled his homeland because people he knew were being killed down there. This, among other reasons, is why I'll always be against the building of walls between the US and our neighboring countries. If he couldn't get here he might have been dead long ago. I'm glad he wasn't, because he brought a lot of laughter and culture into our home. He was an awesome fellow. Goodbye for now, old friend!

Darlica

Thank you!
;D
:autumn:

All Saints' Day /Día de los Muertos is coming up too.

:candle: :pillar: :candle: and :cake:  for those who left us.

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Chatty's Birthday falls on All Souls Day, so I take particular remembrance of her at this time.
WWDDD?

Opsa

Oh my goodness- I totally forgot that!  :-*