News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Virtual Halloween

Started by Opsa, October 26, 2009, 09:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

Slightly  :offtopic:

OK, now about this Halloween thing.  I have had troops of little blighters darlings knocking on my door on previous years saying "Trick or Treat".  The thing is, this is not an Australian or British tradition (me being of British extraction), so I have no idea what this means.  I get the part about it effectively being a request for lollies, but what happens if I choose the "trick" option?  Who does the trick to whom and what is it likely to entail?   ??? ??? ???

Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Opsa

Technically, you do not get the "trick" option. It is an "-or else" threat. If you do not have treats for the little goblins, they may or may not to play a trick on you. Most of them choose not to though, unless you're really mean, in which case they may throw an egg at your door or toilet paper your trees. Or just spread ugly rumors.

I usually have too much or too little candy,as Halloween popularity and young children wax and wane in this neighborhood. Sometimes parents ride the kids around in cars, which I think is preposterous. Lazy parents, can't even walk their kids around! One year, truckloads of kids were hauled around from some area church or something. That was the year I didn't have enough. I mean, twenty kids at once? I didn't think that was quite fair to the little troopers who were walking.

By the way, I have two candy stashes. One is a bag of run-of-the-mill stuff, for people who aren't really trying. The other is better chocolate, for the people who try, and for the parents who are good sports. Yes, I do play favoritism!

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: pieces o nine on October 29, 2009, 04:01:09 AM
I told housemate about the 'tattoo' chihuahua dog costume, knowing she would break down and order it before Halloween, for Benji.   :)

She also ordered a 'Yoda' one for her Chinese Crested (they sent a large instead of a small, when he gets excited he puts both paws in one leg, etc). It will need some adjusting to stay on, but is cute. With his enormous ears, he doesn't need the headpiece, so she'll be wearing it...

Dom thee Danger Catte wil be warin 'is pyratickal 'at again, an mebbe tradin orf wif 'is noo debbil horns.

My custom black velvet vamp dress comes back out of storage, along with professional fangs. I will *not* be dyeing my tresses black -- learned my lesson on that a couple years ago!

We've got an enormous cauldron of candy, with a temp-safe jar in the center to hold a chunk of dry ice. It's my understanding that hordes of neighborhood children will be around; kids usually enjoy seeing the pets 'handing out' the treats.

Any of you trudging around the Ocean o' Sand, stop by for evil, prepackaged sugary treats. It's the yellow house with gangs of vandal deer in the back yard and koi pond in front...

Photos!  We want photos!

:)

Be sure to include your cauldron with "smoke" coming out, surrounded by costumed mayhem.... erm... kiddies.  ;)

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Surrounded? I thought the kiddies went into the cauldron...
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

You gotta fatten 'em up on candy first. ;)

OK, determined that I'm going to a punk show for Halloween (sort of, Gob's a little on the pop-punk side but at least they're Canadian), so I have some costume inspirations.  Might try for Johnny Rotten*, or maybe more appropriately for the band, I could put together a zombie soccer player costume, which should be easy enough to scramble at Value Village:
[youtube=425,350]balcb8BuCYg[/youtube]

*any punk fans from back in the day have any tips here? Ops, I'm looking at you... ;)
WWDDD?

Opsa

I hears ya, Sib!

Here are a bunch of simply smashing Rotten photos for inspiration.

He had a lot of looks in his day. You can go the easy route and have a viscious torn T-shirt, studded belt, ill-fitting pants (I really like the plaid- and by ill-fitting, I mean too short and stretched out of shape, not too big- that'd be too Gangstah), and a jacket (not necessarily leather- he often wore a too-small thrift store blazer) with lots and lots of pins, badges, and linked safety pins all over it. He also sometimes wore a tie. Shoes could be screwed up basketball sneakers or mod boots. His hair was often teased up and orange, but he was not known to wear a lot of makeup, like some others. He liked to look at the camera like it was from Mars.

"God save the queen!"

Aggie

Quote from: Opsanus tau on October 30, 2009, 03:05:47 PM
He liked to look at the camera like it was from Mars.

I heard he had eye issues that caused that look.  Thanks for the tips, matey!

(decided to go with the soccer-zombie look - have been working 11 to 12 hour/day yest'dy & today, so no time to scramble up stuff - energy has been going into prop packs for Rocky Horror.  Too bad, would have rather gone with John - any case, the dental hygiene is approximately the same)

Check What Are You Drinking? for my other Halloween initiative.  :downit:

WWDDD?