News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Happy Turkey Day, Everyone!

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, November 27, 2008, 02:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

Heya!

Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November in the U.S. The story as I know it is that the pilgrims from England were starving and the Native Americans came along with a bunch of Native American food like turkey and corn and showed them how not to starve in this place. The pilgrims then gave thanks to their God and later went to war with the Native Americans and stole all their property, after they felt stronger from all the good chow.

I do not eat turkey, but we do make a good meal to share and take a moment before we eat it to be glad to be together with what blessings we have. There is a Unitarian grace my Mom usually says:

We are thankful for being.
We are thankful for being here.
We are thankful for being here together.

It's nice, because even the family atheists can be comfortable with it.

Usually we have a crowd, but this year it was only me, Mr. Ops and th' Opsalette. My father in law was under the weather (actually, he is depressed and will often back out of things at the last moment- we've come to grips with this and don't bug him about it, if he's not feeling sociable it's no use). Granan is having a dinner tomorrow night with some out-of-towner relatives.

It was nice, thouygh, very low-key. We didn't have to entertain anyone, just made dinner and took a long walk and made a fire out back, as it was mild and windless. We discussed our parents advancing age and how we'd have to change the traditions, now. I think we'll probably go to Granan's next year so she doesn't have to travel here, and then go to Dad-in-law's for Christmas, as he is getting too old to drive the hour-long way here and has bad night-vision. I think we needed the time to think about this and it was good to have it.

pieces o nine

Friend and I had a nice dinner here. And by nice dinner, I mean that she insisted on producing the Whole Shebang, despite there being only two of us. However, her son should be by this evening, and it will be a Good Deed to load that young man up with lots of leftovers!

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677