News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Monastery Database Problem

Started by ivor, July 30, 2008, 01:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beagle

Quote from: Agujjim on July 30, 2008, 07:42:26 PM
Quote from: Griffin NoName on July 30, 2008, 07:35:58 PM
my only comment/ opinions is that an off-site backup is needed, as i mentioned before. They could restore it with minimal loss.

Put me down for an off-shore backup of my bank account. :)

I'll look after it for you and take it somewhere off shore.

Saw an interesting article on how sub-prime is spreading to prime. Apparently Americans who can afford to pay their mortgages are walking away too, because of the drop in house prices and negative equity. Maximum exposure of American banks to these losses, $1 trillion.   Total assets of American banks, $1.3 trillion .  Do your patriotic duty and nail an American to his/her porch tonight.

P.S. MB

For a first offence we generally just lop a hand off. Except we don't have anyone left who can handle an axe.
The angels have the phone box

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: beagle on July 30, 2008, 08:31:03 PM
Apparently Americans who can afford to pay their mortgages are walking away too, because of the drop in house prices and negative equity.
I know the case much better than I would like (my SiL's apartment is now worth less than half the price they paid for it), in fact my wife want's us to get involved ( :headbang: ). I don't even wanna know how much my apartment is worth now.  :'(
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

beagle

According to the Beeb, the ability to walk away is a consequence of laws brought in during the Great Depression.  Happens here too, but not on the same scale apparently (at least not up till now).

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Swatopluk on July 30, 2008, 07:48:55 PM
I found some 18th July posts, so the losses must start behind that.

Then I guess all we are mssing are Swato's totally unguessable Guess the Movie - and that has to be a good thing.  ;D :D :P :mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Soon he'll realise we stopped going to the movies when they became talkies and choose ones for a more mature (well, old) audience.

Aggie

Quote from: beagle on July 30, 2008, 08:31:03 PM
Saw an interesting article on how sub-prime is spreading to prime. Apparently Americans who can afford to pay their mortgages are walking away too, because of the drop in house prices and negative equity. Maximum exposure of American banks to these losses, $1 trillion.   Total assets of American banks, $1.3 trillion .  Do your patriotic duty and nail an American to his/her porch tonight.

Hmph...  time to buy more SKF.  It's back in range, definitely going to jump in if it's below $115
WWDDD?

beagle

I've still got shares in Lloyds TSB (Britain's most conservative and best-financed bank with no sub-prime exposure).  Not sure whether I'm mad for still having them or mad for not buying more now that their dividend is around 11%.
Neil Woodford (Britain's Warren Buffett equivalent) reckons it's still 6 months too early to buy banks, and his track record is somewhat better than mine.

Sibling Chatty

Quote from: Opsanus tau on July 30, 2008, 04:46:09 PM

I say we go for a murder scandal. (I almost typed sandal!) Let's say we murdered a sandal and then tried to cover it up by wearing red patent leather stilletos. The murdered sandal has been buried in the catacombs. Now, all we have to do is make allusions to this murder all over the site and then try to cover it up.

Maybe every time someone mentions "feet" or "shoes" we can hustle along a change of subject.

Griffin murdered the sandal because it wasn't the right color to go with her wedding ensemble for Second Son's Wedding. The red patent stilettos were to throw people off her track, as everybody knows women that are ill only wear sensible , granny-style orthopaedic shoes. ::) ::) :mrgreen:
This sig area under construction.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on July 30, 2008, 10:35:02 PM
Quote from: Opsanus tau on July 30, 2008, 04:46:09 PM

I say we go for a murder scandal. (I almost typed sandal!) Let's say we murdered a sandal and then tried to cover it up by wearing red patent leather stilletos. The murdered sandal has been buried in the catacombs. Now, all we have to do is make allusions to this murder all over the site and then try to cover it up.

Maybe every time someone mentions "feet" or "shoes" we can hustle along a change of subject.

Griffin murdered the sandal because it wasn't the right color to go with her wedding ensemble for Second Son's Wedding. The red patent stilettos were to throw people off her track, as everybody knows women that are ill only wear sensible , granny-style orthopaedic shoes. ::) ::) :mrgreen:

I think this is probaly :offtopic:, but for the sake of verity, I wore purple ballet style pumps. Flat for endurance; purple to pick up that colour in the dress fabric, and more importantly when I am old I shall wear purple - also they only cost £7 on mail-order and I enjoyed secretly being absolutely certain no one else would beat me for the "cheapest shoe" competition unfortunately they never had one[/]
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

ivor

Off-site backup would be great.  Any volunteers?  An on-site backup would have been great.

I had a really fun day at work fixing my bosses spaghetti code too.  I was pulling my hair out.

Everything since the 18th was lost thanks to ISPConfig, "on error drop database..."   ???  It's part my fault to for not verifying my backups.

Aggie

Quote from: beagle on July 30, 2008, 09:27:03 PM
Neil Woodford (Britain's Warren Buffett equivalent) reckons it's still 6 months too early to buy banks, and his track record is somewhat better than mine.

Good reason to stay double-inverse for a while, then.  This last little financial rally pushed prices to a discount relative to where I sold ($122, then sat and watched it top out about $200 before dropping back :P).
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

I could host an off site backup. Let me know total size* and I'll check out my web space - I've now got so many domains for projects that never happened (so far)  it is really sinful and a waste of the internet. ;)

..* and I guess projected growth - if only we could stop people posting ;D
Psychic Hotline Host

ivor

It's about 45 Mb or so.  How would you do it?

Griffin NoName

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on July 30, 2008, 11:35:00 PM
It's about 45 Mb or so.  How would you do it?

Sounds easy peasy. Will check my webspace, when I recover from trip to Siberian Gulag.

Oh, how would I do it?

Daily fight to your home town. No probably not.

I don't know about Joomla without looking, or SMF, but phpBB3 is easy and I suspect the other two would offer similar.

Faling that I could set up a batch job. Not particularly attractive.

Sounds easy peasy. But, I will have to confirm.  ;) ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

Bluenose

I would have thought that any backup would need to be initiated on the server running the database using a suitable agent, otherwise you would not get a consistant state if you tried to restore it.  MB, is it possible to get the database to create a local snapshot copy of itself at regular intervals and then perhaps we could run some sort of automated FTP job to export the snapshot to the remote location.  Just a thought and I do not pretend to fully understand the environment the Monastery is running in - that sort of stuff I usually refer to others.

Edit:  Actually, ideally you would want to only export changes, to keep net traffic down.  I don't know how to do this, I'm just the ideas guy!  :P
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.