News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Monastery Database Problem

Started by ivor, July 30, 2008, 01:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivor

I have to apologize.  I changed something in ISPConfig and the database was dropped.  Also it appears that the backup has been failing and I missed it.  I have no idea what caused this to happen but I will find out.  It looks like we lost all of the new stuff since the Monastery was moved to the new server.  I am soooo sorry and this won't happen again.

Sorry,
MB

Edit:
I do see what the problem was with the back up.  ISPConfig uses a different schema than the original.  When I changed the backup job I didn't select the new schema.  The back up job has been fixed and is working properly now.

In ISPConfig you can transfer a site to a reseller that doesn't have access to MySQL and when you do that the databases get dropped. 

Again, I am soooo sorry.  I'm just mortified.

Please forgive me!  :'(

Alpaca

No worries, MB. I'm pretty sure the important stuff will get resurrected sooner or later.
There is a pleasure sure to being mad
That only madmen know.
--John Dryden

ivor

Quote from: Alpaca on July 30, 2008, 02:37:37 PM
No worries, MB. I'm pretty sure the important stuff will get resurrected sooner or later.

I sure hope so.  I feel so bad.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on July 30, 2008, 02:40:19 PM
Quote from: Alpaca on July 30, 2008, 02:37:37 PM

I sure hope so.  I feel so bad.

Dude!  It's not that important!  We will survive, the monastery will survive.   Please don't beat yourself up for something you had little control over-- even if you DO think it was somehow your "fault", it's not worth feeling bad about.

You do SO MUCH for the 'story, that you certainly have earned a goof-up or five,  without needing to feel bad about it.

Alpaca said-- the really significant stuff will re-post itself:  what's on the minds of the sibs that really matters is still on their minds.  The re-posting of that may in fact, improve the content and style....who can say?  ;D

We all realize you did not intend for this to happen (that would be a different thing, yes?).

Your talents are sooooooo appreciated-- really.

Stop feeling bad about what cannot be helped-- the past is past: unchangeable.  Concentrate on the now, and the future, which is changeable.

Here's a frosty-one, on me :toast:  you look like you could use one.

In the future annals of the Monetary, the scholars will look back on these missing days/weeks as secret meetings, no doubt....or some scandal that needed to be covered up... :ROFL:

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Aggie

Can we have a retroactive scandal? ;D

No worries MB - it's been pretty slow lately (posting rate - summer - not Monastery performance).  Didn't lose as much as we might have, and the important stuff should be backed up mentally.

You may have also kept me out of the Portsmouth Stocks, if I'm lucky. ;)
WWDDD?

ivor

Thanks everyone.  If I had five goof-ups I just spent them all.  :'(

A retroactive scandal would be great.  What should it be?  A government coup?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

All those posts... my post count! No, Nooooooo!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
No worries bud, it happens from time to time (and something tells me that it won't happen in a while... ;))
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Bluenose

Those of us who work with computers have all had our own disasters.  I know it hurts.  I know you feel like its all your fault.  Just remember its very easy to look back with 20:20 hindsight and say "I should have done such and such".  It may even be true, we all know that when these things happen if we had just done that extra backup, or just done... <insert action of your choice>  You know the deal.  The thing is, you did not do this on purpose.  No one's life will be lost.  We will carry on and in a day or two we will have forgotten all about it.

I know how hard it is, how much there is to plan for and take care of.  There is so much of it, that it is only to be expected that occasionally something will be missed, or some mistake will happen.  It does not really matter.  We are after all only human.  I know you did not do this on purpose.  I also know that next time it will not happen at all.  We learn from our mistakes, it's what we call experience.  The only way to make no mistakes is to do nothing, and that's a mistake.

So good MB, please know that we accept your apology.  We still love you.  We still want you for our sysop.  Where would we be without you?  A lot the worse methinks.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Sibling Chatty

DOOD!!

A mess-up that I didn't perpetrate. :mrgreen: ;) :-*

AND!! A whole new deja vu thing available on every counting thread and two word story!!

How many times in ya life do ya get a free do-over? This will be fun!
This sig area under construction.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I think a scandal is Just The Ticket.

We need to think of something really, REALLY juicy.

If we put our heads together, we can come up with something, yes?  ;D
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Opsa

Still love you and are in total awe of you, MB!  :-*

The records will now show that we didn'blow so many guesses on Swato's Name That Movie game.

I say we go for a murder scandal. (I almost typed sandal!) Let's say we murdered a sandal and then tried to cover it up by wearing red patent leather stilletos. The murdered sandal has been buried in the catacombs. Now, all we have to do is make allusions to this murder all over the site and then try to cover it up.

Maybe every time someone mentions "feet" or "shoes" we can hustle along a change of subject.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Mmm... in those lost post is the evidence of such murder, who said what first? Who incriminated him/herself and his/her partners, but more importantly, how much did you got MB?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Hey, these things hapen. Think when it's banks losing all our money :mrgreen:

my only comment/ opinions is that an off-site backup is needed, as i mentioned before. They could restore it with minimal loss.

HAVE A THINK ABOUT THAT !

woops caps keep turning on sorry.

Can you tell me the date of the last NOT-lost posts??

Wouldn't your mirror have them?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Quote from: Griffin NoName on July 30, 2008, 07:35:58 PM
my only comment/ opinions is that an off-site backup is needed, as i mentioned before. They could restore it with minimal loss.

Put me down for an off-shore backup of my bank account. :)
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

I found some 18th July posts, so the losses must start behind that.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.