News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Independence Day (U.S.)

Started by Opsa, July 03, 2008, 09:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alpaca

Aha, technically July 6th, and I can still hear them! Fortunately, they're too drunk (or out of fireworks) to be causing any noise apart from their incessant yammering.

QuoteDo they also do them during New Years where you are?
New Year's is worse. They start days beforehand and fire off more and more until the big show. On the actual day of, though, Independence day is worse for me. I'm always up until some ungodly hour on New Year's anyway, so it doesn't bother me as much. I guess I'm not patriotic enough, though, since on Independence day I prefer to go to sleep at a reasonable time - made difficult by the explosions.

Fun fact: Due to drought, fireworks are technically banned here as they could start a fire. Guess some people didn't get the memo.
There is a pleasure sure to being mad
That only madmen know.
--John Dryden

Swatopluk

Bans on fireworks usually have the opposite effect. people try to manufacture themselves with often horrible results. People misunderestimate the power of black powder and their own stupidity. Some also try alternatives like karbide or worse.
I also have the suspicion that the Poles are trying to wipe out parts of Germany by selling us their Polenböller. Some of those contain 40 g of industrial or military grade high explosives (for comparision: the strongest firecracker currently allowed here has 4 g of black powder).
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Alpaca on July 06, 2008, 05:57:36 AM
Fun fact: Due to drought, fireworks are technically banned here as they could start a fire. Guess some people didn't get the memo.
We went to Marco island to watch the fireworks there and despite several signs stating that is was illegal to send fireworks on the beach itself there was a number of people doing it. I guess it was a suggestion because I never saw the police fining anyone.

Last (post  :mrgreen: ) night when we arrived the next city was shooting their stock apparently because there was a heavy rainstorm on the 4th.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

It poured here on the fourth, but last night we had some people over for BBQ and we lit some lovely fountains and danced around with glo-bracelets like lunatics into the night. Had a good time!

goat starer

Quote from: Alpaca on July 06, 2008, 04:12:59 AM
It's the evening of July fifth, and the morons are still firing the damn things.

thats not fireworks... thats a goat with a 6lb cannon trying to recover the colonies.

----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

6 pounder?  6 pounder???

Yer'gonna hav't be doin' bettern' that, me laddie.

We laugh at you puny 6 pounders, and return fire with our 14 pounders in a barrage.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

pieces o nine

Several of the neighbors got together with their extended families, and all brought rather nice (and, as mom kept saying  *EXPENSIVE*  ) collections, which they lit off down the center of our street starting at dusk. One of the municipal expos was about a quarter mile away; most of it was visible above the trees. But I think the collection the neighbors shot off rivalled it -- and it certainly lasted longer.

I don't mind if they shoot them off until the curfew, as long as there is responsible supervision, and no aiming at people, houses and cars!

Dom the Danger Cat is pretty cool about fireworks, as long as he is inside and I am close by. So I pulled his perch up to the screendoor window and sat outside sociably, and he watched from the security of the house.

:fireworks_fire:   :fireworks_toss:   :fireworks_spread:

:catroll:
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling Chatty

Spencer HATES fireworks.

The only ones in this area (drought is pretty bad, even the morons didn't try much) were the "city" ones at the park, which is fairly close. (Everything here is fairly close.)

BUT Mommy sat with Dogboy in lap and sang along to a movie musical on DVD. Spencer likes the music of 1776, and I proved one more time that I suck as a soprano, but am one hell of a tenor...
This sig area under construction.

Swatopluk

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on July 07, 2008, 01:27:06 AM
6 pounder?  6 pounder???

Yer'gonna hav't be doin' bettern' that, me laddie.

We laugh at you puny 6 pounders, and return fire with our 14 pounders in a barrage.

Most Americans these days have more experience with quarter-pounders and would have a heavier impact, if fired from cannons themselves.

goat starer

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

I love you Swato!!!!!! consider yourself enlisted.

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

beagle

I hope you two wrote your wills before launching this campaign...
The angels have the phone box

goat starer

I, Goat, being of fairly sound mind, so hereby leave any burgers remaining in my freezer after my death to the Americans.

Beagle may have any cigarettes.

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara

Swatopluk

Quote from: beagle on July 07, 2008, 01:51:57 PM
I hope you two wrote your wills before launching this campaign...

Do we launch a ship or a missile?
Good use for the champagen anyway, since I find the stuff highly overrated.
I have mainly books and DVDs to bequeath but will destroy the prawn in time, so nobody gets embarassed.

Pachyderm

Ai say, is there to be fisticuffs?

Where did Ai leave me Regiment? They were here twenty minutes ago. MAAJOR! MAAJOR! What is the point of raising a regiment if Ai can't send them off to war? Those uniforms were expensive, you know. If they have got them all nasty and messy there will toys out of the pram....
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

beagle

Quote from: Swatopluk
I have mainly books and DVDs to bequeath but will destroy the prawn in time, so nobody gets embarassed.

There might be an attack without warning. Perhaps I should pop round with a removal van to put it in safe storage for you, just in case. Having upset the Yanks AND the feminists* I wouldn't bother buy any more long operas if I were you.

(* Admittedly I'm making assumptions here. If it features farm animals you may be OK.  Sort of...).

The angels have the phone box