News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Optical illusions...

Started by The Meromorph, November 08, 2006, 05:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Meromorph

If your eyes follow the movement of the rotating pink dot, you will only see one color, pink. If you stare at the black + in the center, the moving dot turns to green. Now, concentrate on the black + in the center of the picture. After a short period of time, all the pink dots will slowly disappear, and you will only see a green dot rotating.

Dances with Motorcycles.

Sibling Spoffish

Now, THAT is cool.

This one seems strangely fitting:

Stare at the line of dots in the middle of this picture for 30 seconds. Then, look at a blank wall. Who do you see?

Pretty much sums everything up for me that it turns out that our lord is just an optical illusion.... ::)
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
That way, when you DO criticize him, you are a mile away, and have his shoes.

Vita Curator

That is really cool Mero.  But fess up, you posted that in order to hypnotize us all to do your bidding, right? ;)

Sorry, Spoffish, but I see Bob Seger, the early days, the way he looked on his "Night Moves" album, and he is no more an optical illusion to me than my Lord is.

Unity is Strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything.

Sibling Spoffish

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
That way, when you DO criticize him, you are a mile away, and have his shoes.

Vita Curator

Unity is Strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Anyone remember the Lion King?

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Swatopluk

Mero, can you provide an explanation for that effect?
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

The Meromorph

What, the Lion King one? No, I can't even see the illusion (I'm one of the 10 of the population who can't see those ever...)

The first two are exhaustion/adaptation effects... The rods and cones get 'tired' and stop sending so stringly, combined with the brain structure making adaptations (temporary) to filter out the slight residuals, which it interprets as distortion. Then when you look away, the adaptations remain for a while. THe first one is a cone effect (so you see complementary color adaptations (the green)). The second is pure rods, so you see a black and white reversed image, which a preprocessor in your brain resolves into a face.
Dances with Motorcycles.

Aggie

Quote from: Swatopluk on October 15, 2007, 10:50:32 AM
Mero, can you provide an explanation for that effect?

The standard pattern is somewhat shifted (by a pixel or few) in the area where you see the 3D picture; when you visually overlap the repetitive bits of the pattern by crossing your eyes, your eyes need to slightly shift their depth of focus for different areas of the picture to focus sharply on the overlapped pattern. 

Incidentally, does anyone see a similar effect in this picture?  It's subtle... and looks better with a higher res.

How they managed it on a hand-painted surface....?  Mystery to me.
WWDDD?

Opsa

Usually I can pick up on these pretty well, but I can't seem to get either of the last two.

Hey- didn't I see that one guy on a pack of Zig-Zag rolling papers back in the 1970's?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The images are quite small to pick them up easily (I'm in 1280x1024). As long as the pattern repeats horizontally you may superimpose it. In fact in some cases your brain will interpret something even if that wasn't the intention. I was watching a fractal the other day (I can't find it now) and it actually showed 2 simple planes (unintended).
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

Quote from: Opsanus tau on October 16, 2007, 09:09:05 PM
Hey- didn't I see that one guy on a pack of Zig-Zag rolling papers back in the 1970's?

Who, this guy?   :mrgreen:
[youtube=425,350]VZ_WRWzoB6Q[/youtube]
WWDDD?

Opsa

Wow, he's really helpful now that he's become a pirate!

He used to look like this: (and was no help at all, really...)