News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Chamomile Tea Party Posters

Started by Opsa, September 19, 2012, 10:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

I read about these in the Washington Post recently. The Chamomile Tea Party is against partisan politics in the USA and has created posters for their cause in the style of the great commie propaganda posters of yesteryear. I gotta say, some of them are brilliant IMHO.

Griffin NoName

Interesting. Noticed a "commenter" found the posters too aggressive, which I think they have to be.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

Why haven't I seen these before?
Because no one was screaming about them, I guess...

Some good posters in that group!
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Opsa

The group managed to have this one put up in the DC metro, in lit-from within electric billboards.

I love the anti-party messages. They really ring true. And in true commie fashion, any of those posters are free to download from the website.

I do want to note, however, that much of the art is actually taken from US generated posters from the 1950's, and not commie posters. Does that make them "cappie" propaganda?

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Yea, Opsa, I recognized much of the art, having seen it in it's original form (no, not original-original... I'm not that old) in discussions of WW2 era and the post-war dramatic changes that were a result of women discovering they could work outside the home.  And they liked it that way.  Nothing's been the same, since. 

Which is good.

Unfortunately, some menfolk would see us return to pre-50's state, where women were confined to stay-at-home or other menial tasks.   (I'm looking at you, rethugs)

I think the posters are not over the top-- you need to speak in a loud voice these days, or nobody takes you seriously.

... meh.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Opsa

I agree with you, Bob. I very much admire what this artist is saying.

Our two-party system in the USA is not working for us any more. Whichever party is in power can't get things done because the other party is so busy trying to snag them up so they look bad in the next election. It stinks!

Griffin NoName

Yeh, well, look at our three party system!

actually I suppose it's >3 nowadays what with the greens and ukip etc
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

Well, technically we're supposed to be more than two-party here as well, what with the libertarians and the independants, as well as the odd communist, green or very-silly-indeed party offerings. But many of us feel that voting for anyone other than the republicans or democrats is throwing a vote to the opposing party.

So what's the solution?

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Opsa on September 21, 2012, 03:59:29 PM
Well, technically we're supposed to be more than two-party here as well, what with the libertarians and the independants, as well as the odd communist, green or very-silly-indeed party offerings. But many of us feel that voting for anyone other than the republicans or democrats is throwing a vote to the opposing party.

So what's the solution?

I'm very afraid that Shakespeare had it right, way back when:   "first, we hang all the lawyers"

Or more accurately, revolution.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I disagree with the general idea that the parties are on extreme and opposite positions, there is a party that goes beyond Giovanni Gentile's wildest dreams, and a party to the right of ol' Ronnie R. that likes to think it is really progressive. There is no left in this country, at all.

Just think that the so-called commie healthcare reform is a carbon copy of a system implemented by a Republican on MA (who now claims that he had nothing to do with it ::)), a true lefty position would be a single payer financed with a general tax, but that is communism according to some, so no, there is no left. Worse of all the center-right party (democrats) do compromise and let the fundies get away with so much stuff that it isn't funny anymore.

Obama may win this round but a more balanced political system it's generations away.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

Yeah, according to one of the parties Otto von Bismarck was a commie who brought the scourge of social security and universal health insurance into the world. But since Hitler too was a commie (according to the same party) that is not actually a surprise.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

pieces o nine

I have to agree with Sibling Zono on this one. In an effort to be "fair" too many liberals and progressives [in my opinion] are too eager to embrace the "both sides are equally bad" motif. It's been true in the past, it will probably be true again in the future, but it is not true here and now. As the US political Left keeps "compromising" and "meeting half-way" we are becoming a three-party nation: Right, Far-Right, and Off-the Charts Right. Meanwhile, a disturbingly high percentage of the US population actually claims to believe that we have the most radically liberal president in the history of the World!1ZOMG!!!!

Nonetheless, I applaud the CTP's premise that people are fed-up with vicious polarization. Fed up enough to not vote for those who promise to go further? We'll see...
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Aggie

Quote from: pieces o nine on September 22, 2012, 03:47:57 AM
Meanwhile, a disturbingly high percentage of the US population actually claims to believe that we have the most radically liberal president in the history of the World!1ZOMG!!!!

::) Image-wise, I suppose it could look that way. On the ground, he makes Harper look like Jack Layton.  :P
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

At least he hasn't made any attempt of perpetuating himself in the job as Harper...
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

There are no term limits up here, so we don't worry much about that notion.  Canadians are fickle enough that we'll vote the rotters out if they try too much (perceptions that the Liberals were making back-door deals with business largely did them in; we don't mind supporting social programs with our tax dollars, but we get pretty testy if we catch the government pissing it away to private interests).

The Conservative Party, as an entity, has only technically been around for 9 years.  However, if one reads between the lines, they started out as the Conservative Party in 1867, modified it to the Progressive Conservative Party in 1942, and decided to not bother with being progressive as of 2003. :P

Side Note: Perhaps the reason that Canadians lean to the left and Americans lean to the right has to do with party names.  A liberal party sounds more fun than a conservative one, to me.  ;)

As for the US?  At least Republican includes the word 'pub' in it.   ::)
WWDDD?