News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Solar Panel Tariffs

Started by Aggie, May 25, 2012, 04:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

So.. the US could let its citizens have solar panels that are cheap enough to compete with other forms of energy, but instead it slaps protectionist tariffs on Chinese solar panels:

http://inhabitat.com/solar-prices-expected-to-rise-as-us-places-huge-tariffs-on-chinese-produced-pv-cells/

Way to tax solar energy, guys!  Everyone in the world will have solar energy cheaper than in the US. ::)
WWDDD?

Roland Deschain

So why don't the US government just subsidise their own manufacturers? Do they really have to be world leaders in every field just to feel important? ??? I bet the oil companies love this move.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Sibling DavidH

In the UK, up to very recently, householders were paid ridiculously high rates for their surplus energy generated by solar panels, so a lot of people were having them fitted.  Then, with very little warning, those rates were slashed by the government.  Now a lot fewer people are having them fitted, and the government is about to cut the rates even further.

Same kind of thinking by the two governments, essentially.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2089014/Government-half-solar-panel-Feed-Tariff-returns-March-loses-court-battle.html

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-2149323/Solar-panel-returns-cut-leaving-just-weeks-grab-10-returns--Feed-Tariffs.html

Swatopluk

Not to forget that solar cuts into oil and gas profits.
Doubly so, by reducing the consumption of fossil fuels and by competing for subsidies.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Wait a sec, are you suggesting that politicians are short sighted and thinking only in the short term?  :o ::)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Politicians should be  carbon-taxed.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

I can think of more creative ways of dealing with them.  :mrgreen:

Swatopluk

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on May 25, 2012, 04:22:21 PM
Wait a sec, are you suggesting that politicians are short sighted and thinking only in the short term?  :o ::)

Since too much sex leads to shortsightedness (or so our elders taught) and politicians are notoriously involved in sex scandals that has to be expected.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName on May 25, 2012, 04:26:37 PM
Politicians should be  carbon-taxed.

Would that be an emmissive tax?  In that you'd measure the hot-exhaust of your typical politician (and tax that)?

Or would you measure the total carbon footprint his (or her) body removes from the environment (simply by being alive)?   For many of these fat-cats, that would be the larger of the two-- for to be honest, you must consider both the size of their egos and the size of their heads... as they perceive themselves, naturally.

Or, perhaps, we could tax them based on how much dead-tree product they cause to be used by their normal political function-- including all the endless wasted political ads they send in the guise of pretending to tell us how they are doing...

... hmmm.

Hard to gauge which would be more effective.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Roland Deschain

I think they should be taxed on emissions. All that BS must produce at least some methane. :mrgreen:
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers