News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Poor not allowed to have cash on them?

Started by Swatopluk, March 21, 2011, 09:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

http://www.alternet.org/newsandviews/article/533889/minnesota_gopers_want_to_criminalize_poor_people_carrying_money/

Hey, you non-rich looking guy over there! Are you on the dole? Yes? Empty your pockets! What's that, a nickel? You are under arrest!
Stuff like that was once good for radio satire or dystopian plays.
Btw, German lawmakers currently discuss, whether people on welfare can play lottery legally or not.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

They're just trying to prove themselves to... the Dark Lord.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

ivor

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on March 21, 2011, 01:17:39 PM
They're just trying to prove themselves to... the Dark Lord.

What makes you think I have anything to do with it???  Gosh!!!  Sure I'm not a Boy Scout, but if you're looking for who's behind, "pure evil," please check with my ex.

DL

Scriblerus the Philosophe

"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Griffin NoName

The poor would not be poor if they knew how to handle money properly :irony:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Lindorm

Hey, if poor people are not allowed to have cash on them, how are rich people supposed to be able to give them alms, to display their charity and compassion? Special Visa cards made out of sackcloth and ashes?

Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Aggie

Not a factor in the US, maybe?  

On a serious note, though, I've wondered how feasible it would be to set up a payment-card program for the homeless that allows online donations by slacktivists.  Instead of hitting you up for spare change, a street person would hand you a card with their username, a reference number and optionally a photo, and ask you to donate a few bucks.  The account could be used towards stays at a shelter (which usually charge a few bucks) and other necessities.  
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

IMHO, from what I see of the homeless in London, this would be fraught with difficulties.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Definitely.   I like the idea in some ways, find it insulting in others.

I generally am most inclined to give to panhandlers who flat up tell me they need the money for beer, especially if I'm going to/from spending my money on beer. ;)
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Too complicated, and ignores the mindset of the target. In the US at least one third of homeless people suffer from serious mental health issues (and I wouldn't be surprised if many of those classified as substance abusers also have some mental pathology). Whatever is done it has to be simple enough (and with some clear motivation) to involve the target in this case.

Aggie

If you could use it to cover prescription costs and medical treatment, and have a central website giving some profile information for each user (without too much personal info, which is a challenge - what they need it for, what their requirements are per month, who is furthest behind) I see it as a viable way to raise funds for that aspect, too.

Atrocious amounts of money would need to go to administration, however.  You'd need a central way of covering that.  From the user's end, they'd get handout cards, and possibly (but not necessarily) a card to carry for payment.  It'd be better to have a photographic database that could be used at point of service to verify identities.  It would need to start small with dedicated staff that actually knew each client.

WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Nope, that still doesn't add up to me. ( and the administrators would need to be homeless too).
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Not only that, individuals with mental health issues are incredibly difficult to deal with, and many are in denial about their condition. People in the streets are there in part because they don't fit with the "organized world" that surrounds them, and a portion of them have seen so many different efforts to help them fail that they are quite skeptic and -in the worse cases- take advantage of the system as much as they can. That's why I talk about motivations, which in many cases are very concrete but not necessarily in the same priority levels that we would think logical.

You should talk with someone working on a local shelter to get a better picture.

Darlica

My personal and perhaps not entirely balanced reaction:

For F**k's sake!

I'm so bloody tired of people who read 1984 and think it's a instruction to a functioning society and a dystrophy! 

:aargh:

W W DD said?
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on March 23, 2011, 11:32:13 PM
Not only that, individuals with mental health issues are incredibly difficult to deal with, and many are in denial about their condition. People in the streets are there in part because they don't fit with the "organized world" that surrounds them, and a portion of them have seen so many different efforts to help them fail that they are quite skeptic and -in the worse cases- take advantage of the system as much as they can. That's why I talk about motivations, which in many cases are very concrete but not necessarily in the same priority levels that we would think logical.

You should talk with someone working on a local shelter to get a better picture.

I will not disagree with the difficulties, and I concede that the idea is focused primarily on how to get money and a bit of intangible goodwill flowing from the "organized world", and less on how to make that money work most effectively for the people who need it.

Homelessness is one of the subjects that I generally sit quietly and keep my damned mouth shut on how to 'solve', because I really can't see any way to do so and don't consider myself a qualified opinion (aboriginal issues are another notable in this respect).  :P

With regards to the original post, I agree with Scrib and Darlica - Abies Vulpes Merluccius   >:(
WWDDD?