News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

Started by Aggie, May 20, 2010, 09:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lindorm

Well, yes, 1001 albums worht of streamed music is always 1001 albums worth of streamed music, and quite a few of those albums are really good, so on that point I wholeheartedly agree. But I am somewhat allergic to those "you have to X before you die" lists, not to mention those "The greatest X of all time" lists, since I tend to find them quite predictable and narrow-minded, as you might have noticed. ;)
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Aggie

Fair criticism. :)

Any tips on which albums command your particular esteem would be appreciated, though!
WWDDD?

Darlica

All Joy Division and the early New Order + the album Get Ready which isn't listed, they are house-gods in our home, and Kraftwerk of cause.
They all broke new ground.

I can recomend:
Jean Michel Jarre Oxygen I suspect L will disagree on this one. ( ;) )
Leonard Cohen especially I'm your Man
Motorhead Ace of Spades
Iron Maiden The Number Of the Beast
Tom Waits Swordfish Trombone and Rain dogs
U2 War and The Joshua Tree
Jesus and Mary Chain Psycho Candy  (and pretty much all their other albums too)

I can't believe they didn't mention Eurythmics.  :-\

This is before 1988 I have to take the rest another day.
Sleepy time.

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

beagle

Pink Floyd/Everything
The Doors/Everything
Neil Young/Harvest,After the Goldrush,Rust Never Sleeps, Live Rust
Stones/Beggar's Banquet, Let it Bleed
Joy Division/ Unknown Pleasures, Closer, Substance
New Order/Technique
Jimi Hendrix/Electric Ladyland
Air/Moon Safari
Tangerine Dream/Stratosfear, Rubycon [sic]
Kraftwerk/Computer World
Bowie/Station to Station, Low
Simon and Garfunkel/Greatest Hits
Velvet Underground/The Velvet Underground
The Who/Who's Next
Pet Shop Boys/Everything (except Disco 2)
Chemical Brothers/Exit Planet Dust
Deep Dish/Junk Science
Placebo/Once More With Feeling
Alphaville/Forever Young

Fairly typical for my age I suspect, except I've never liked the Beatles or Bob Dylan.
The angels have the phone box

Lindorm

Oh, I am not disagreeing with the inclusion of a few Jean-Michel Jarré albums. While I am not that big a fan of his music, I still think his works are important as a part of contemporary musical history. He did a lot to develop electronic music, and especially move it from "sound effects for commercials" to "modern culture" -after all, the french ministry of culture has supported several of his projects through the years.

But then again, are we talking about good or historically important albums and artists from that list, or are we talking about our own favourites?

Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Aggie

A bit of both, I suppose, although since that list is providing access, I'd say focus there for recommendations (we have other good threads for lesser-known albums/artists).

I notice that while Disposable Heroes made the list, more recent Michael Franti (Spearhead) stuff did not - which is a shame.

-----------------------

Addition:

Quote from: Darlica on May 30, 2010, 10:43:01 PM
Tom Waits Swordfish Trombone and Rain dogs

I'm listening to Swordfishtrombones right now and realize that I've heard a number of the songs before on Big Time (live album), and like the live versions better (which isn't as true for Glitter and Doom).  I'm a little more partial to some of Tom's later stuff; Bone Machine and Alice stand out for me.  In temporal context, I can see how Swordfishtrombones was more cutting edge, though.
WWDDD?