News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

Started by Aggie, May 20, 2010, 09:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

i.e. this book:

A radio site in Romania has the entire list available as streaming audio, ordered from oldest to newest:  :o
http://www.radio3net.ro/dbalbums/albume1001

Enjoy!
WWDDD?

Opsa

Wow! But I need pointers on how to make the thing work.  :-[

Aggie

Click on the album, and the little player in the upper-right corner should start playing (?).   You may need to adjust the volume.  If you're not seeing the album cover & player apparatus, you might need an additional plugin...?
WWDDD?

Opsa

I tried to play Miles Davis. I saw the album, clicked on it, it appeared in the upper right, with it looked like a player apparatus, but when I tried to hit play, it just sat there. maybe I'll try a different one.

Does it take a while to load?

Opsa

Aggie

???

How fast is your interwebz these days? It's been snappy for me -  :-[ that it's giving you hassles.
WWDDD?

Opsa

I have DSL, and it's okay. Maybe it doesn't like jazz. I tried Thelonius Monk, too.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

**sigh**

I looked at several pages of album covers in the list... I actively disliked more than 1/2 per page, and the rest I'd either never heard of, or heard of but had no interest in listening to again.

So I gave up.

I guess I'm a musical zombie...
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

The Meromorph

Some real classics there...
I love it, Thank You.    :thankyou:
Dances with Motorcycles.

Lindorm

The list looks suspiciously like yet another endless list from the editors of Rolling Stone, or something similar, male, us-centric, fifties-plus with receding hairline, big motorbike and a Macbook.

Endless reams of seventies prog rock and som Ravi Shankar, with a bit of female soul singers thrown in to show that they are not sexist, oh, and some blacks, too!

How many have actually listened to "The United States of America" outside those very same states? Roxy Music and Hanoi Rocks being some sort of musical milestones? Def Leppard having several albums on the list? Um, riiight. (Though I actually think that "Pyromania" deserves an inclusion, since it was one of the first albums that integrated synthesizers with metal-style music and broke the guitar/bass/drums -dogma).

Nah, I'll pass on this one.

Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Lindorm on May 23, 2010, 09:16:08 AM
The list looks suspiciously like yet another endless list from the editors of Rolling Stone, or something similar, male, us-centric, fifties-plus with receding hairline, big motorbike and a Macbook.

Endless reams of seventies prog rock and som Ravi Shankar, with a bit of female soul singers thrown in to show that they are not sexist, oh, and some blacks, too!

How many have actually listened to "The United States of America" outside those very same states? Roxy Music and Hanoi Rocks being some sort of musical milestones? Def Leppard having several albums on the list? Um, riiight. (Though I actually think that "Pyromania" deserves an inclusion, since it was one of the first albums that integrated synthesizers with metal-style music and broke the guitar/bass/drums -dogma).

Nah, I'll pass on this one.

Much more eloquently put than I, but pretty much describes my thoughts.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

beagle

The list from 1970 to 1990 is pretty much the albums we considered significant at the time in the UK I think. After that, I sort of lost track so have no idea.
Reggae was quite big in the UK around 1980 which isn't reflected here. But (institutionally racist that I am, probably) it all sounded the same to me; maybe the list author felt the same.

The angels have the phone box

The Meromorph

Hey! I don't have a Macbook...  :P
Dances with Motorcycles.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Are you an editor for Rolling Stone? Lord Mero you never stop surprising us!
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

-------------------------------

Def Leppard having several albums on the list? Um, riiight. (Though I actually think that "Pyromania" deserves an inclusion, since it was one of the first albums that integrated synthesizers with metal-style music and broke the guitar/bass/drums -dogma).

See, what I was thinking was:  1001 streaming full albums.  Good opportunity to root out a couple dozen that I haven't heard but always meant to listen to, or I've never heard of.  Not that I disagree with your assessment. ;)

-----------------

I did find it a shame that there seems to be a "I like this artist, let's drop the whole discography in there" approach.  Better to pick at most the 2 best from any given artist, IMHO.  I must admit to owning or having listened to an obscene amount of the stuff from the 90's on the list, although I probably started listening to most of it in the 00's.

Notably, the title is not The 1001 Albums...
WWDDD?