News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Musical atrocities

Started by Lindorm, April 10, 2010, 11:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

Holy carp, I think I've browned meself listening to those. Shades of Mrs. Miller Hilarious!

The Shaggs were truly awful. Apparently their Dad saw them as talented and produced several records of their music. They were so incredibly bad that they became the darlings of the alternative music scene in the 1980's. It was a special challenge to try to match their uncoordinated drummer and incomprehensible cadences.

Aggie

Sounds like human theremins with chimpanzee players, those two...   ;D

Wow, the Shaggs are out there, but I can see where they might have got a certain amount of notoriety on college radio scene (which plays some pretty far-out stuff just because it's far-out).  I've heard other artists approaching that level of 'talent'.

I actually don't have any good examples of all-out atrocities, although I still maintain that there's something for everyone to hate in my music collection, and certain Ween tracks certainly fit the bill.

I could point to some Musical Redemptions, where terrible songs have been reworked into superb cover tracks; notable is Mark Ronson's version of Britney's hideous McDonalds-jingle-disaster "Toxic" (actually includes the phrase "I'm Lovin' It"TM).

WWDDD?

pieces o nine

After listening to all the posted links (and other selections where available), I can only say: 
I have bought a hammer! You may borrow it if you wish!

[youtube=425,350]OE6zXHQ6iRg[/youtube]

:giggle:   please post more!
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Swatopluk

Quote from: Opsanus tau on April 13, 2010, 07:04:53 PM
IMHO you can't do worse than The Shaggs.

Nice attempt at East Asian temple music but they should not try English or they could be mistaken for simply lacking singing talent.
And the bass bordun is missing.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

Quote from: SwatoAnd the bass bordun is missing.
They had it cut off during the operation.
And that's not all they had cut off.    :mrgreen:

Opsa

Last night we caught a film atrocity called "Rock Rock Rock", which contained a musical atrocity called "I'm Not a Juvenile Delinquent". I howled.

Sibling DavidH

I would probably have thought that was great when I was 10.  Not now.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Opsanus tau on July 30, 2010, 07:18:22 PM
Last night we caught a film atrocity called "Rock Rock Rock", which contained a musical atrocity called "I'm Not a Juvenile Delinquent". I howled.
It's bad but in a cute way, music of it's time and not significantly different from the more successful ones.

Mind you, I won't be adding it to my mp3 player... ;)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

I'm so sorry I didn't cover this one, back when I had my post-punk band. I'd love to have our greaser-like backup singers snarling those lyrics. You're right, it is cute, but the rhymes are awful, aren't they?

You should have seen the movie. It starred Tuesday Weld and went absolutely nowhere. I think they just wanted a vehicle for some popular rock'n'roll groups and loosely threaded a story around some recorded performances.

Sibling DavidH

I always thought Tuesday Weld was the most ludicrous stage-name ever.

Opsa

:offtopic:
However, she was in one of the most wonderfully odd movies ever, Lord Love a Duck, where she plays a teenager who basically seduces money out of her estranged Dad to pay for sweaters so that she'll be accepted into the Cashmere Club at her school. I always wondered whether they were stoned during the filming of this scene.

Sibling DavidH

I should imagine so, by the look of them.   :spliff:   :drunk: :tequila: