News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Question! Ear Phones?

Started by Scriblerus the Philosophe, April 07, 2008, 07:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Please move this wherever it goes--I couldn't find the proper place.

I am in desperate need of good earphones. I run through them like other people do Kleenex. My now-defunct pair were very comfortable and had good sound, but didn't hold up very well. The bit that goes in the audio jack got all effed up and disconnected the wiring.  :P

I want high quality sound in a sturdy, comfortable package, to be primarily used with an mp3 player.

I don't care where you've found them, just tell me! I can get them some way or other, so it doesn't matter too terribly where they can be found. I just want recommendations.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Darlica

What kind of earphones do you prefer?

I like soft in ear plugs, I use a brand called KOSS, IMHO they are comfortable, good sound and durable.
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Scriblerus the Philosophe on April 07, 2008, 07:38:19 AM
Please move this wherever it goes--I couldn't find the proper place.
May be 'On the beach' under 'Money saving tips'? I'm sure Griffin will take care of it as soon as she sees it.
---
Anyho, my tip may be a non money saving one (or depending on how quick you go through them may actually save you money ;) ): Bluetooth!
These ones come with an adapter in (the likely) case your mp3 won't have bluetooth built in.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Don't use earphones so cannot recommend.

There isn't a suitable section for this just as there isn't for all the similar things I've posted about. So I am going to move it to the same place as that. LOL. Home Improvements. Maybe a slight "Section" name change would be in order. Home Things ? Dunno. Suggestions?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

I would recommend Koss, as well. I had a fantastic pair of the headphones which lasted years until Dom the Danger Cat snacked on the cord.  :'(

I now use my RCA wireless or else very inexpensive ones.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Just purchased a Korean bluetooth set that was somewhat less than satisfactory.  I will probabily return them or give them away (they cost $20 or so, so I'm not inclined to return.)

My favorite set remains a set by Phillips.  They are of the ear-bud variety and therefore quite compact when not in use.  They came with soft tubing that allows you to somewhat customize the fit.  The soft tube goes into your ear canal, and the phone itself rests in your outer ear-- they stay on surprisingly well.  They are very light, and I have fallen to sleep with them on, and actually lay on one in my ear.  Wally World carries them at less than $20/pair.  Sound is excellent.  Volume is good.  Plug is right-angled. Cord is small, though, and could be fragile.

My next favorite pair is Koss.  It comes with 3 pair of silicone "thingys" that you put over the end.  These are somewhat bell-shaped, but hollow, with a sound-channel down the center.  Mushroom-shaped?  That's better, with the stem being hollow, and fitting onto the speaker-part.  These stay in very well, they are extremely light.  The mushroom "head" fits into your ear canal, and blocks the surrounding sound very well.  With 3 different sizes, one ought to fit a typical adult ear-hole.   :mrgreen:   VERY comfortable. They also come in "designer" colors.  Mine is green (or rather, has green bits on an otherwise black earset ::) ).   Also available at WallyWorld, $15-20.

My third favorite set is also by Koss (I like the Koss sound).  These are ear-clips.  There are two speakers, about one and a half inches around, so the sound is excellent.  There's little ear-clips that go behind your ears, not unlike eyeglasses, that snug the speaker (it has a foam cushion) against your outer ear.  At low volume, you can easily hear conversations around you.  But, after awhile, the earclip can get a bit tight.  Radio Shack.  I got them on sale for $5, but I think they are still available for $10-15.

I've read any number of bad reviews of bluetooth headsets, and I'm afraid to shell out $50+ on something that is only mediocre.  :mrgreen:

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Opsa

May I suggest a section name of "Electronics"?

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Opsanus tau on April 07, 2008, 08:08:37 PM
May I suggest a section name of "Electronics"?

I did think of that, but then I thought some things sort of aren't electronic, but just vaguely similar.

Electronics and ......       (fill in the missing word; suggestions)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

Scriblerus the Philosophe

I know what you mean, Bob. That was similar to the pair I killed.

I ended up buying a set this morning (well, ok, afternoon. But it was morning for me!) that are of a similar variety.
Right-angle jack, silicon thingies, good sound, good volume. Made by Jensen.
$20 at the drug store. :mrgreen: Thought I was going to have to go to a music store to get a new set. Lo and behold, drug store set > Kind from record place.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

pieces o nine

Do not underestimate the POWER of the KOSS, young padawan... 

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: pieces o nine on April 08, 2008, 06:10:48 AM
Do not underestimate the POWER of the KOSS, young padawan... 

I have a set like that somewhere or other.

After a while, the spongey-foam looses it's ability to expand properly, and they no longer fit.

Is why I like the mushroom-shaped silicon thingys better.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)