News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Did you know that...

Started by Swatopluk, July 07, 2010, 09:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

Or, in English here.

Thanks Swato, that gave me something to read as I freeze my rear end off in the middle of the night. Looks like Henry (VII) of Germany was an elected King, no less. Kinda tragic life, but I guess a lot of them are.

Swatopluk

Did you know that a twist in canonic law allowed/forced a divorce in case a parent did an emergency baptism on his/her child?

Explanation: Baptism at birth was considered so crucial that even laypeople and sometimes even women were allowed to do it with most fluids available (beer excepted. Yes that was a papal decision. Spit was acceptable though). But taking part in a baptism as either godparent or baptizer created a 'spiritual kinship' that made any marriage up to the 7th degree of relation (Roman count) illegitimate. So by a parent baptizing his/her child the spouse suddenly became a relative of the second degree and therefore the marriage automatically incestual so it had to be annulled/divorced. A dispense was only possible in the gray are of 5-7th degree.
No, this is not an absurd construction by modern church critics but a real problem in the Middle Ages. In the end the actual law had to be changed to avoid it. I assume the change only considered relations existing before the wedding or there could have been chain reactions leading to the annullment of most marriages in a given region due to one inconiderate baptism.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Swatopluk

Did you know that the (currently) strongest beer available has 65% alcohol?
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/brewmeister-armageddon/188747/

The consumer comments are not very good though

Opsa

Whoa! And they can still call it a beer? I guess alcohol content is not part of the definition.

Swatopluk

Did you know that the Danish cabinet in 1864 was popularly known as 'The Million'?

Well, it was a Prime Minister and six Zeroes. It proved impossible to get even one volunteer for a cabinet post, so the king was forced to appoint lowly public servants for those vacancies. The previous cabinet had managed to stumble into a war with Prussia and Austria while at the same time isolating the country from those that had saved it a few years ago (over the same question). The king got the guys ousted with a vote of no confidence but it was too late and no one was eager to clean up the mess that had been created while taking the blame for the inevitable failure.

Aphos

Quote from: Swatopluk on September 26, 2014, 02:10:49 PM
Did you know that the Danish cabinet in 1864 was popularly known as 'The Million'?

Well, it was a Prime Minister and six Zeroes. It proved impossible to get even one volunteer for a cabinet post, so the king was forced to appoint lowly public servants for those vacancies. The previous cabinet had managed to stumble into a war with Prussia and Austria while at the same time isolating the country from those that had saved it a few years ago (over the same question). The king got the guys ousted with a vote of no confidence but it was too late and no one was eager to clean up the mess that had been created while taking the blame for the inevitable failure.

LOL.  A bit like our American House of Representatives currently under the control of the Republicans.  Rachel Maddow points out that it has passed less legislation than any Congress...EVER.  Their goal seems to be to obstruct all legislation so the Obama administration can not get credit for anything, all at the expense of letting the nation founder on important issues.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Aphos on October 06, 2014, 02:18:37 PM
Quote from: Swatopluk on September 26, 2014, 02:10:49 PM

LOL.  A bit like our American House of Representatives currently under the control of the Republicans.  Rachel Maddow points out that it has passed less legislation than any Congress...EVER.  Their goal seems to be to obstruct all legislation so the Obama administration can not get credit for anything, all at the expense of letting the nation founder on important issues.

And claim to be a democracy !
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Actually, rightwingers in the US insist that the US are a republic NOT a democracy.

Griffin NoName

Who is their Napoleon then?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Didn't he get shot in Some Like It Hot?

Aggie

WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

After reading a bit about the new Tory manifesto I wonder if the Scots are having some buyers remorse right now...
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on October 06, 2014, 09:58:15 PM
After reading a bit about the new Tory manifesto I wonder if the Scots are having some buyers remorse right now...

It's a terrifying prospect. Cameron should get his rich friends to pay off the deficit and leave the poor alone.
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

Did you know that that in the silent movie era the Russians so disliked happy endings in films that additional scenes had to be added to imported non-tragic movies to have them end in tears and bloodshed?

I almost wonder, whether this practice would be popular in Korea these days too since they seem to looooove overextended tragic endings.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

All endings should be tragic, if everybody has a bad ending why wouldn't the movie characters get on with the program?
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.