News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Sound of Brownian Motion

Started by Aggie, February 26, 2010, 04:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

BBC article on the development of laser-based "micron-phones" that can detect sound over very small scales:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8529232.stm

The real  :o factor for me is not the technology, but the sound clip of Brownian motion - atoms and molecules bumping into each other.  :thumbsup:
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Remarkable. One could listen to the sound of one's child being conceived?

Disappointed in the Brownian motion - such a tiny sound coming from our great bully of a leader :mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Quote from: Griffin NoName on February 26, 2010, 05:04:50 PM
Remarkable. One could listen to the sound of one's child being conceived?

In vitro, yes, it would appear so.

Don't you mean 'grandchild'? :mua:
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Sounds like a micro version of the laser device used to listen to conversations by targeting a window and reading the vibrations of the reflection. Cool stuff.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

The Meromorph

I used to have better hearing than I do now (I used to be a recording engineer also), and I could hear significantly above the standard human range (quite a lot of people can). I used to often hear the brownian motion of the air molecules in still air at over 110 F (below that it's not realy loud enough, and the highr the temp the higher the frequency - for me I could not hear it over about 125 F...

In the summer in Kentucky, I could often hear it when on the road (blacktop), but not over the fields away from the road (where it was slightly cooler).
Dances with Motorcycles.

Sibling DavidH

Wow!  When I was a kid I could easily hear the mechanical vibrations of the line output transformer on our old 405-line telly. 405x25=10,125 Hz, not very high for a kid.
But when we got the new 625-line PAL system I couldn't hear it (625x25=16,625 Hz), although I was only about 12.
What do you reckon the frequency of the Brownian motion is at around 110oF?  I guess it's much higher than 10KHz.

BTW don't forget the European rate is 50 fps, not 60, which is in reality only 25 frames transmitted and interlaced to give 50.

Swatopluk

I wonder how it is not simply downed by the sound the blood makes in one's ear.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

But I haven't got any blood in my ears.  :mrgreen:

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

as long you don't have blood in your hands...  :o :o ;)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.