News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Guess the Movie

Started by Kiyoodle the Gambrinous, December 11, 2006, 11:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyderm

Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Swatopluk

Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Either Turkey, Armenia, Iran, Afghanistan or something in between. I can't find any 60s B&W movie with a geographic location in the title with a reference to any of those places.
---
Unless it's a 50s movie like Drakula İstanbul'da
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

My hints do not leave many choices: Borders on India and territory formerly in Russian hands.
You don't need Sarah Palins skill in geography ;)

Opsa

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Are we talking about this map and assuming Pakistan wasn't a country yet?

http://www.nicholasandalexandra.com/virtual1999/images/russmap.gif

Depending on what map are you looking for we could be talking about any of the -stans: Pakistan, Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, or even parts of Iran.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Zono, given that the movie is from the 60ies, all of the -stans but one are not an option*.
It's not Iran (and not China either, but that should have been self-evident).
It also has an '*ollywood' movie industry (neither H- nor B-).

The film was it's first (or second) horror movie only and it passed the censors only after the makers promised never ever to make another. ;D

*admittedly at that time the Russians were not directly at the border but in almost spitting distance due to a rather odd line of the border.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Then the movie is Zinda Laash (talk about obscure! It wasn't in any of the list of vampire movies I saw.)

Swatopluk

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on October 28, 2009, 11:36:06 AM
Then the movie is Zinda Laash (talk about obscure! It wasn't in any of the list of vampire movies I saw.)

This is the correct answer.
The movie is also known internationally as Dracula in Pakistan and The Living Corpse
Obscure indeed but available on DVD both in region 1 and 2.

It is a rip-off of Hammer's (Horror of) Dracula* but given the thorough Bollywood/Lollywood treatment, i.e. singing and dancing scenes interrupting the flow (general rule: where there would be a sex or seduction scene in a Western movie, there is a dance in films from the subcontinent).

Notable characteristics of the movie:
Since Western vampire lore was unknown in Pakistan, the vampire is the result of a Jeckyll/Hyde experiment seeking the elixier of eternal life.
The action takes place in the present time (60ies), so cars and electricity replace coaches and candles.
Since the vampire was a present time professor (not a medieval aristocrat), he retains his human capabilities/knowledge, i.e. he knows how to drive a car, use a phone etc.
Since it takes places in a Muslim country, the standard vampire fighting methods don't work (except impaling).
The vampire is not defeated by deliberate action but by 'chance'. There are strong implications that this is divine intervention (it takes place when the cornered 'hero' for the first time calls on Allah for help), although it is not explicitly stated.
A score was obviously not within the budget, so the makers seem to have plunderd their record collection with at times hilarious results. Imagine e.g. a wild car chase accompanied by The Barber of Seville and La Cucaracha.

The low budget and limited experience of the makers show but the film is nonetheless worth a view. Acting and atmosphere are quite good and the film is in some instances more logical/realistic than its Western counterparts. The vampire shows far more common sense and intelligence and it takes the hero far longer to convince anyone that he is not mad** and there is indeed a monster on the loose.
The singing/dancing is of course something one has to get used to.

* that was the first with Christopher Lee as the count
**he is fully aware that this is the most natural explanation

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Now to search for something ...

Opsa

Promise to be gentle on us!!!!!  ;)

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Swatopluk on October 28, 2009, 02:09:38 PM
Acting and atmosphere are quite good and the film is in some instances more logical/realistic than its Western counterparts.

Hang on! What do you mean....more realistic ?? :mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Quote from: Griffin NoName on October 29, 2009, 12:11:42 AM
Quote from: Swatopluk on October 28, 2009, 02:09:38 PM
Acting and atmosphere are quite good and the film is in some instances more logical/realistic than its Western counterparts.

Hang on! What do you mean....more realistic ?? :mrgreen:

People behaving like normal people, no silly magic tricks, no "wise old man" delivering all solutions free-of-charge (the only wise geezer gives just general advice but is honest enough to say that he's not all-knowing either), no running away from garlic or crucifixes...

Griffin NoName

.....zombies behaving like normal zombies......
Psychic Hotline Host