News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Legislated Universal Cell Phone Chargers

Started by Aggie, December 02, 2011, 05:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/12/02/ndp-mp-introduces-bill-to-force-universal-mobile-phone-chargers/

There's a slim chance this will actually get passed as it would cut into profits for gadget manufacturers; the Conservatives have a majority and are too pro-business and have their noses too far up Uncle Sam's butt to allow it.  :P  But HOORAH to the NDP for you know, actually looking out for the average Canadian AND trying to reduce e-waste.
WWDDD?

Sibling DavidH

I thought most makers were standardising to USB now?  Still, good for your NDP anyway.

Aggie

If I'm not mistaken, Apple has no signs of losing their proprietary charger...  IIRC I've heard people grousing that the old iPhone chargers don't match the new ones.   

There's big money to be made in accessories.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Most chargers are micro USB but there are still some holdouts. The moment enough markets require this, economies of scale will force the rest to follow suit. Now imagine poor, poor apple having to change their chargers...  :mrgreen:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Sibling DavidH

No problem for the manufacturers: as soon as everyone's using mini / micro USB, they'll come out with a new type.  :mrgreen:

Griffin NoName

The micro USB fitting is so fiddly. Don't know how the elderly manage it at all. My brand phone has a weakness such that the female end gets yanked out quite easily rendering the phone useless. So far, with kid gloves, mine has lasted.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Aggie on December 02, 2011, 05:20:16 PM
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/12/02/ndp-mp-introduces-bill-to-force-universal-mobile-phone-chargers/

There's a slim chance this will actually get passed as it would cut into profits for gadget manufacturers; the Conservatives have a majority and are too pro-business and have their noses too far up Uncle Sam's butt to allow it.  :P  But HOORAH to the NDP for you know, actually looking out for the average Canadian AND trying to reduce e-waste.

According to the scuttlebut, this has been the standard in Europe for quite some time-- caused a delay in the iPhone from CrApple-- microUSB is the required charger interface over there.

Since that is such a large market, it has driven other major players to follow suit in the USA... apart from CrApple naturally.  One of many reasons to avoid them.

Quote from: Griffin NoName on December 07, 2011, 12:56:32 AM
The micro USB fitting is so fiddly. Don't know how the elderly manage it at all. My brand phone has a weakness such that the female end gets yanked out quite easily rendering the phone useless. So far, with kid gloves, mine has lasted.

I have marked the "up" side of all my microUSB charger cables with a green sharpie-- it helps tremendously, as the difference between "up" and "down" is too subtle without my reading glasses.   I simply color the silver bit all green (or red or whatever color I have handy).

I started doing this back with my CrApple iPod's too-subtle-to-tell-even-WITH-glasses stupid crap-design charger plug.   If you think microUSB is fiddly?

Try one of CrApple's proprietary and way-too-fragile abominations.

But now, all my charger cables are so marked.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Actually you can tell which end is which by touching the connector, one side has two little hooks, that's how I can plug my phone without even watching.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Scriblerus the Philosophe

My Android has a mini-usb, same as my old phone and my old mp3. Pretty solid connection for me, but I also have a case which, though gummy and soft, still helps solidify it.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay