News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Summing up the noughties

Started by Darlica, December 29, 2009, 12:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lindorm

Lots of things happened in the noughties...

The 11th september bombings certainly loom large over the decade, with their aftermath of fear, paranoia, state terrorism and bigotry.  :(

On a more personal level, the noughties were also a decade where I was heavily involved in trade union work, and was part of bringing about some successes, such as making changes in Swedish labour relations law making it easier to take strike action, stopping some of the worst excesses of a big multi-national transport company and making positive changes in the workplace for a few thousand colleagues. The downside of it was that I almost burned myself out in the process -but that, on the other hand, led me to change jobs and get a better one.

And at the start of this decade, there was no Facebook, no teeny-fashionista super-bloggers, no iPod, a 40 gig hard drive was respectable and mobile phones were actually for making phone calls with... 

...maybe I should just crawl back into the forest and keep carving my rune-sticks?  ;)

Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)