News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Dream Monastery

Started by Sibling Chatty, November 01, 2006, 07:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivor

There are plenty of ideas for building.  I think the only important aspects would be net-zero utilities, eye appeal, structural soundness.

Aggie

Fancy a ready-made off-grid Monastery on 32 acres?

http://www.greenhomesforsale.com/listing.php?id=18762

QuoteAnother highlight is the 10-15 year old fruit orchard that is just coming into production with 40 fruit varieties of apples, pears, cherries, apricots, and peaches.

Very nice area of Montana, too...  I was through here (generally) on holidays. 

I'd move to the US (part-time) for this property - the area is very very much like where I grew up.  Ski hill nearby, too.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

US$400K?!?!?!

That's a bit rich for my taste...
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

Hah!  That's a crappy bungalow in a bad neighbourhood, here.   An equivalent property in Canada would be at least $700K.  And we aten't far from dollar parity, so the exchange doesn't mean much.

hell, I can't find that much LAND in an equivalent area for that kind of price, let alone the off-the-grid house.
WWDDD?

Scriblerus the Philosophe

And I'd be willing to pick up the slack on that place...you can have winter, though. ;) I hate snow more than anything.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

If I can find a 167 acres property for ~$500K not that far from here I'm positive you can find something cheaper in nowhere, MT...
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

It's actually Touristville, Montana, but that's on a relative basis, considering you are in Florida. ;)  I haven't been really looking at the US so it's not apples-to-apples; that one was a very random google result from a somewhat-related search.  Most (nicer-looking) off-the-grid green homes go for well over a million bucks, according to what's on the market in western Canada at the moment on the same site; prices are cheaper in the Maritimes.
WWDDD?

Opsa

I think it's ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!!

That's a lot of land, and what seems to be a self-sustaining house. It seems a reasonable amount to pay for it. Glacier Park is amazing. I've been there.

It's probably freaky cold and snowy in winter, but with good insulation and fireplaces, you can stand it. I had a friend who moved back to Montana from here (mid-east US) because she was too cold in the winter here, where houses aren't built to keep warm.

It looks like the owners want to sell it someone who will continue the dream for them, and are willing to help finance the right person. Maybe you are what they're looking for?

Aggie

Don't have the cash for that one, want to quit working to do this, so I need cash in hand. ;)

Unless I can find work in Montana....  :hmmm:

probably need lots of cash 'cos I'm Canadian, too.  :P
WWDDD?

Scriblerus the Philosophe

I'd try to hook you up with the family I have in the area, Aggie, but it's like +6 hours away from teh house of glory and I dunno how much you know about cattle ranching.  :-\
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Aggie

There's oilpatch out thatta way (east, I presume - Alberta South), Scrib, presuming I was serious about it.  Which I'm not sure I am - I've got a buddy/co-homesteader that is talking about going halfers with me on finances and labour (currently in Burning Man, but I've emailed him the listing just in case), but would probably be even more reluctant than me to move stateside.  Besides, if we are looking in the US, something out your way (North CA or south OR) might be a better bet.  I'll wager there's more existing green houses out there.

Under $100,000 means the possibility of "retiring" at 30, albeit with no assets except a marginally liquid patch of land...  :D

Considering this one right now - has a good spring on it, apparently, which is a major bonus, and it's cheap enough to buy cash-in-hand (with two of us, by next spring).  The location leaves a bit to be desired (in the boonies), but access should be good and it's about 2 hours from Kelowna (decent airport) or Spokane, WA.
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=9862949&PidKey=485110374

I'll keep scouting and have a few other candidates - should we start a separate thread / area somewhere more private for real-estate lust?
WWDDD?

Opsa

That looks nice, especially the views. The year-round spring is a definite plus. How's the weather there?

You can start another thread for private real estate lust, if you wish, but here is fine for potential Monastery property.

Aggie

Weather should be not too cold in the winter, hot and dry in the summer, if I know the area (haven't tracked down exact stats).  The biggest problem with that property is the remoteness - not too far out for purposeful guests, but not likely to be a casual stay option for travellers.  I don't mind that overall, but having some summer tourists nearby could help fund some of the development.

This one bears another look (there are two similar properties adjacent, varying in size and price), as it's 5 minutes from a captive audience (ferry passengers, and presumably the odd person that's missed the last ferry of the night).  Could be good for hawking veggies or setting up a little coffee stand, that sort of thing:
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=9863306&PidKey=-1999599556
WWDDD?

Aggie

The property above is a bust due to high-voltage power transmission lines being visible from the property.  Not the aesthetic I'm looking for in an off-the-grid project, especially with a bit of paranoia about EM radiation thrown in. ;) 

I had been hoping these lines ducked behind the mountain around the area of one of the lots, as suggested by Google Earth recon.  No dice. :P
WWDDD?

Opsa

Good thing you spotted that before you bought.